ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

64 bit /camcorder vs dslr

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Nguyen
64 bit /camcorder vs dslr
on May 2, 2011 at 5:35:51 pm

This is a 2 in one question.

So I'm getting a new computer and was just wondering is it worth the money to switch to 64 bit, and how are you guys experience with cs5 compare to cs4.

my second question is to whether buy a digital camera(dslr) (which I know are mainly use for photography, but the quality I seen from it are just phenomenal) vs buying a camcorder. The computer is going to cost me a lot so my price range is up to 800 dollars. I'm thinking of buying Panasonic HDC-SD60K or the rebel

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
Re: 64 bit /camcorder vs dslr
on May 2, 2011 at 6:20:28 pm

It doesn't seem to make sense to spend money getting a new 32-bit system (hardware or software) since they're on the way out and will likely be relegated to door stop status before too long.

CS5 is way better than CS4 ... sorry, but it seems one can only respond to a vague question with a vague answer.

Someone else can probably be more help than I with the DSLR question.

By the way, the After Effects forum doesn't really seem the appropriate forum for any of those questions.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 2, 2011 at 6:27:11 pm

CS5, 64 bit is the way to go. You can still get a good couple of years in my opinion on CS4, but it's like when you switched from a single processor to multiple processors in a computer.

If you shoot for fx, camcorder for sure, especially if you can skip recording to a card/drive/tape and go straight to a hard disk.
A dslr will give you good looking picture but with a lot of compression which will take out most data from the image that you would use for chroma, grading and fx in general.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 2, 2011 at 6:47:28 pm

Since you're asking this in the AE forum, my advice is this: save your money.

No kidding -- start a savings account, put as much money as you can in it regularly, and keep doing it for one or two years. Use the money you've set aside for a computer to get you started.

Neither one of those cameras is worth a spit for effects work, so having a shiny, new computer won't make your work any easier. Since pros can write off the purchase on taxes, chances are good you're not a pro, so just use what you have for now.

You may want something new and cool RIGHT NOW, but you don't have the cash for something new and cool right now. Save up. Watch camera prices come down. Watch software get more capable. Get new stuff when you can afford tools that will work the way you want them to work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Victor Nguyen
on May 3, 2011 at 12:16:03 am

well I'm joining a class next year where we will be filming a lot and I need to at least have a decent computer to work on, and I'm planing for this computer to be my main through out my college years.

for the camera, I just want to have something that actually shoots in HD since the one I'm having right now doesn't.In my college years, I will then be saving up for those 3 thousand dollars that pros use. Now I need at least something decent to work with. The camera doesn't have to be for effect work, but I do like it to have a cinematographic look to it

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 3, 2011 at 8:34:25 am

In that case, a dslr is a good choice in my opinion. If you can get a few decent lenses then you can get a cinematographic look, and you can use that for stills as well. Just remember, if you want to shoot green screen or do heavy compositing or color grading you may not get the best results. For testing and school projects though, it is a good option on a low budget.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Victor Nguyen
on May 3, 2011 at 5:15:25 pm

how would dslr hinder green screen, color grading and compositing work?
Also is dslr sound quality very bad? it seems like it is so much trouble so I'm thinking just to go for a normal camcorder

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 3, 2011 at 5:35:20 pm

[Victor Nguyen] "Also is dslr sound quality very bad? it seems like it is so much trouble so I'm thinking just to go for a normal camcorder"

DSLR's aren't known for great audio; cripes, they're basically still cameras that happen to be able to record video. They also suffer from crummy control placement when using them as video cameras.

Both cameras you mentioned earlier suffer from the same problem: lousy color resolution (aka color sampling). The following video 'splains the concept, and you should know that the DV video mentioned has the same kind of lousy color resolution:

So I'll reiterate what I said earlier: if you're contemplating serious effects work, you'll have to save up for a proper camera.

Now, if "okay" quality effects work will do, knock yourself out... and remember that good lighting is crucial to any good chroma key. No money for lights? Think of using big green screens outdoors, and deal with the fact that any lightweight, flat object tends to behave like a kite in a breeze.

This effects stuff ain't as simple as grabbing any old camera and shooting under any conditions you want.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 3, 2011 at 5:53:01 pm

I thought you said you were not going to use it for that- a dslr does compress the color information quite a bit. Thus you will not have all that information you need to pull a good key or color correct.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]