ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Change Image Source?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim RiverdaleChange Image Source?
by on May 1, 2011 at 10:19:02 pm

I have an image that I'm animating along a path. At some point during the animation, I would like the image to change to a different file but keep going along the path. Is this possible? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Change Image Source?
by on May 1, 2011 at 11:02:55 pm

Animate the first object along the entire path.

Place the Current Time Indicator in the Timeline at moment you want it to change to the other object and choose Edit> Split Layer.

Select the new split layer and Alt/Option drag the new image onto the layer to replace the footage the layer uses.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Change Image Source?
by on May 2, 2011 at 11:30:42 pm

I'm not at all implying there is anything at all wrong with the method Brian suggested ... this is just to give you an option since one of the greatest things about AE is that there's several ways to do everything ... it's good to know multiple methods since each has pros and cons that can make it more or less suitable for different needs.

You could also precompose the image layer and leave its attributes in the main comp (so the animated keyframes don't move into the precomp, which is a choice you're given whenever you precompose). Then, you can change the image in the precomp as many times as you like. Some people consider a downside of this method to be that you need two comp viewers to see what you're doing, but I always work with two viewers anyway so it's a non-issue for me. The upside of this method is that, if you have to change the image a hundred times, you don't have to wade through all hundred layers in your main comp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved