ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS5 does not render transparency in export

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henk WijsmanAfter Effects CS5 does not render transparency in export
by on May 1, 2011 at 6:18:03 pm

Dear all,

After Effects ignores transparency in a composition, but only sometimes. It took me a day to find out when this is happening.

Now is this a bug, or am I missing something?

1. Start a new composition (1080i, HDTV (Rec 709), 16 bits per channel)
2. Put a 1-second image at the start of the timeline
3. Put a 2-second textlayer on the timeline
4. Export to Prores4444 with alpha

Result: transparency, is rendered out as black.

5. put a mask on the image, or move it forward (make sure there's transparency in the first frame).
6. Export to Prores4444 with alpha

Result: transparency, is rendered out as transparent.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS5 does not render transparency in export
by on May 2, 2011 at 2:44:18 pm

Are you certain you have transparency in your comp to begin with? Have you checked for it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Henk WijsmanRe: After Effects CS5 does not render transparency in export
by on May 2, 2011 at 2:53:15 pm

Certainly there is transparency.

If there is only animated text on a transparent background, it does work. I use the result (in Prores4444) in FCP on a video layer.

If only the first frame fully covered by an image, AE forgets to render transparency.

Grtz, Henk

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS5 does not render transparency in export
by on May 3, 2011 at 4:01:26 pm

Without knowing a single bit of information about your system other than you're running AE 10, here are some general tips:
  • If you don't have it, get the free upgrade to AE 10.0.2. Make sure you turn off antivirus and firewall software first.
  • Turn off Open GL for rendering. You can use it for previewing, but not for rendering. The people at Adobe don't use it for rendering.
  • You may not have enough memory to use multiprocessing effectively, so turn that off, too.

Perhaps one of those suggestions will work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul FreemanRe: After Effects CS5 does not render transparency in export
by on Jun 4, 2011 at 8:30:28 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I've spent hours trying to figure out why my beautiful sharp timelapse footage ends up horribly soft after I'd rendered it, and it turns out that switching OpenGL on was causing the problem.

I also found that turning OpenGL off allowed a transparent PSD overlay to render correctly, with OpenGL I just had a big black rectangle.

Adobe make a point of selling OpenGL rendering as a feature but its totally useless for output. Lead me right down the garden path.

Return to posts index

Max BenzRe: After Effects CS5 does not render transparency in export
by on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:23:56 pm

Im sorry to re-open this discussion, but i've been searching around in the forum (and after over 5 hours of try&fail) and could not find a single suggestion helpful in my case.

I'm working on a simple after effect composition, with CS5.5.0.253, where my white bg is progressively masked out to reveal trasparency for further editing in premiere pro.

Problem is, using the "loseless with alpha" or the png quicktime @32 bit, RGB+alpha, or the .tga sequence, I don't get the trasparency in the final result.
The key fails in premiere pro and in the blackmagic video switcher that everyday plays my lw3rds created with the .tga sequence option in SD resolution, so i guess is an after effect problem.

Instead of the key, i keep having the background color set in the "compostion settings". I should point out that i also see the trasparency grid while exporting.

I've already tried exporting with and without the OpenGL and the multiprocessing options.

Settings for the comp are HDTV 1080p 25 fps, square pixels.
I'm on a Win7 x64 SP1 on a Intel I7 3.2 GHz and 12 GB of RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470.

Return to posts index

Tom DavidRe: After Effects CS5 does not render transparency in export
by on Oct 16, 2013 at 5:48:33 am

Hello - I'm wondering if anyone has solved this problem yet? I am running CC now, and still when exporting TGA 32bit images with alpha in a sequence, black image files are produced for empty frames instead of transparent alpha image.

WORK AROUND:

The only way around this I have found is placing a single pixel in the corner of the screen, and this gives me the alpha across the whole image as required. Without the dot on the empty frames, only black is out put in the render for these completely empty frames.

Tom

Cheers,
Tom

Camera Operator - Editor - Motion Graphics
(http://www.tomdavid.com.au)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]