ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE trashes quality on comp size adjustment

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David GhastAE trashes quality on comp size adjustment
by on May 1, 2011 at 2:08:19 am

Hi, i went to reduce my comp size, leaving everything in it at its original scale, and saw that it made everything fuzzy as a result. This isnt an issue of scaling as all my elements are the same size as before, the only thing thats different is the size of the comp. This only seems to happen when i have a comp nested into a parent comp, and i adjust the size of the parent comp.

I guess im going to have to crop it in another program, i just wanted to see if anyone else was aware of this.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: AE trashes quality on comp size adjustment
by on May 1, 2011 at 2:26:23 am

Not sure I understand what you're saying happened or what you're trying to accomplish (can't think of any reason to scale down a comp after building it), but reducing the screen size of a comp doesn't affect the image quality of the layers in the comp ... perhaps you also changed the aspect ratio and the footage is being distorted, thus, making it look fuzzy ... or perhaps you have some setting wrong.

Return to posts index

David GhastRe: AE trashes quality on comp size adjustment
by on May 1, 2011 at 2:33:49 am

Ah i think i figured out what is causing it. I had nested an even sized comp in an odd sized comp, so AE ended up with .5 pixels on either side (since it adjusts either side together) and shifted the parent comp out of focus. It seems to be ok as long as all comps are all even or odd.

Return to posts index

by on May 1, 2011 at 3:01:02 am

Glad you got it sorted ... don't understand the odd and even you're talking about though .... are you talking about field order? If so, yeah, mixing different field order footage is a sure way to create problems.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE trashes quality on comp size adjustment
by on May 1, 2011 at 10:26:06 am

If you have a layer with a position that is not on whole pixel values, you can get into a problem with resampling and anti-aliasing because of subpixel precision. See this page for an explanation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

David GhastRe: AE trashes quality on comp size adjustment
by on May 1, 2011 at 7:14:49 pm

No, the issue is with parenting and comp size. If you have a 100x200 comp in a 97x200 comp or vice versa, then AE will crop 1.5px on either side, shifting the entire thing off by half a pixel causing it to go out of focus. If adobe didnt hire bottom of the barrel employees this sort of thing would never have been a problem, or at least would have produced some sort of warning message, but here we are.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: AE trashes quality on comp size adjustment
by on May 1, 2011 at 8:16:48 pm

[David Ghast] "If adobe didnt hire bottom of the barrel employees this sort of thing would never have been a problem..."

David, I understand your frustration but this kind of remark is uncalled for.

Despite its many faults, Adobe does produce good software and has very dedicated, customer oriented employees.

Return to posts index

by on May 2, 2011 at 10:34:00 pm

• [David Ghast]
  • "If adobe didnt hire bottom of the barrel employees this sort of thing would never have been a problem..."

David, I have to agree with Brian. Personally, I think that was a very irresponsible comment ... especially in an Adobe product forum. Adobe has been one of, if not the, top media software developer for most of my 20+ years in the business and it seems very unlikely that would even approach being possible with "bottom of the barrel employees". I'm sure Adobe has it's faults like any other corporation or individual, but a company's faults don't necessarily result from its employees. Several Adobe employees are among the top contributors to these forums and are people to whom I and many others here owe a great deal of gratitude for their individual contributions.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE trashes quality on comp size adjustment
    by on May 3, 2011 at 4:43:27 pm

[David Ghast] "If adobe didnt hire bottom of the barrel employees this sort of thing would never have been a problem, or at least would have produced some sort of warning message, but here we are."

....and if Adobe could pre-qualify the users who purchase its software, limiting sales to those who actually knew something about it, there wouldn't be a problem, either.

Dave LaRonde
    Sr. Promotion Producer
    KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]