ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to set adjustment layer mask?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron HaymanHow to set adjustment layer mask?
by on May 1, 2011 at 12:29:46 am

Ok... what I have is a solid shape that moves over some video footage. I want to "cut a hole" in that solid shape that shows the video underneath through that hole. This hole has to be able to move independently of the the solid shape that it's cutting out.

I was shown a quick demo of how to achieve this using an adjustment layer that then has a mask on it and then the mask can be animated. The trouble is that I'm unable to re-create this. What settings do I need to use? Should the adjustment layer be above or below the shape layer that it's cutting out? I think that the shape layer actually needs to be turned off so that only the alpha is activated (not the actual solid shape), but I'm not sure on this one either. What are the settings that the shape layer should have and what are the settings for the mask on that layer?

Thank you very much in advance.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: How to set adjustment layer mask?
by on May 1, 2011 at 2:20:22 am

Adjustment layers always have to be above the layers they are to affect and it's also important to know that adjustment layers always affect every layer below them.

That said, it actually doesn't sound like you need an adjustment layer ... just make another shape layer in the shape you want for the "hole" and set it as a track matte for the other solid.

See here for details:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved