ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Collapse transformations vs rasterize issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan HargreavesCollapse transformations vs rasterize issue
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 12:24:29 pm

Hi all,

I have an issue with a graphic I'm working to do with the collapse transformations/vector rasterize button.

Client has sent me a really boring 2D pdf image they want in a presentation. I thought I'd spice it up by doing a bit of fake 3D and a camera move on it.

Workflow:

1) Make comp with client's pdf image - rasterized, and pre-comped.

2) Using Harry Frank's 3D preset, I've made 50 copies of the layer which are left unrasterized.

3) Pre-comp these 50 layers and drag into a new comp

4) Collapse transformation to enable 3D effect.

So far, so good. But.

The camera move I want to add starts in tight to the image then pulls out wide. The issue is that at the start of the camera move, because the pre-comped layer isn't made of rasterized layers the text is heavily pixelated. But when I rasterize the layers, the 3D effect disappears!

So the issue is, how do I cheat it so I get nice clean text up close while maintaining the 3D effect?

Thanks in advance!

D

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Collapse transformations vs rasterize issue
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:10:05 pm

Why do you need to pre-compose your vector art? If it's just to make a tighter comp with less layers, then there's no need to pre-compose. Just link all vector art to a null, hit the shy layer switch and you'll end up with one layer and no problem.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dylan HargreavesRe: Collapse transformations vs rasterize issue
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:00:08 pm

Hey Ted,

The main reason is because of what I'm doing with the pre-comp in the next comp.

It's a circular image with an outer rim that has a 'lifecycle' on it. I'm rotating the outer rim around the static central image which involves duplicating the pre comp and masking out the centre of the one that rotates.

I've come up with a kludge which is dragging the original image into the new comp, making it 3D and lining it up with the rotating rim. (God I hate explaining these things!)

Seems to work, but now have a UFO in my comp. (See other post).

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Collapse transformations vs rasterize issue
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 5:14:45 pm

So you could use Dave's advice from the other post - mask one layer, copy mask and paste on all other layers that need masking. No need to precomp...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]