ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Comp taking too long to render?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve BrameComp taking too long to render?
by on Apr 26, 2011 at 10:48:23 pm

I have an AE Template that I've edited for a project, and I'm concerned with the Render times. The Footage is all 1080P. The project contains comps for HD, as well as a couple of SD. My final needs to be an SD clip, so I'm rendering out one of the SD comps. The comp is only 26 seconds, but it takes a little over 1 hour to render out a lossless AVI. I laso have Nucleo Pro 3 installed, and rendering out with NP3 takes a little over 3 hours. My Memory settings follow this guideline...

Here are my system specs...

Asus P6X58D Premium
Core i7 950
nVidia Quadro 4000
Windows 7 Premium 64bit
System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA
2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive(600GB)
Media Drive - 1TB RAID5 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive)
Matrox MX02 Mini
CS5 Production Premium

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Comp taking too long to render?
by on Apr 26, 2011 at 11:15:44 pm

Your machine sounds fine, and I presume you're running AE 10; got the latest update to 10.0.2?

I'm not sure exactly what Nucleo brings to the party to help AE 10... okay, I have no clue what it brings. But I'm inclined to turn it off and see what happens.

Finally, just know that multiple lights and layers both accepting those lights and casting shadows will really slow things down. It's astounding what adding just one light will do do render times.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Comp taking too long to render?
by on Apr 26, 2011 at 11:23:32 pm

OK...thanks Dave. I've never used AE much for this sort of work. Mainly keying and rotoscoping out wireless mic belt packs and such, and this just seemed like too long a render time for a 26 sec comp.

I do have version, which should be the latest, unless my update function is broken.

I did drop the $$$ on Nucleo Pro when they went 64 bit, but I swear I can't see much difference. Oh well, live and learn.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Comp taking too long to render?
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:21:58 am

Nucleo Pro was just discontinued.

It was a very cool product a couple versions ago -- and spec render was a really interesting idea -- but I found that more recent versions caused more trouble than they were worth.

I started using Lloyd Alvarez's amazing BG Renderer script [link] some time ago, and I haven't looked back.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved