ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Smoke Particles ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randall OelerichSmoke Particles ?
by on Apr 26, 2011 at 3:16:25 pm

I want to create a dark smoke particle system (an 'entity') for a short film, dark smoke emanating from bathroom mirror and moving across the bathroom to shower. Do I need to buy Particular 2 software plugin for Adobe After Effects,
or can Adobe hand what I need done without my buying the plugin?

I watched Andrew Kramer's tutorial #107 (Green Smoke) on this type of effect, i.e. smoke,
and he talks about the Particle 2 Plugin used for the smoke.

I can get the plugin for $200 academic price, but if I don't need it I will gladly save my cash. But if the plugin will really make the effect easier to accomplish (I am a complete After Effects amateur, although I have played with the AE particle system somewhat) or better then it is worth it to me to buy it.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Smoke Particles ?
by on Apr 26, 2011 at 4:03:29 pm

Particular is a great plugin to have and learn to use. It will allow for you to do what you are after and so much more. I for one think it should be a must know/have for every AE artist.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Randall OelerichRe: Smoke Particles ?
by on Apr 26, 2011 at 4:12:43 pm

EDIT: Hoofed it out of the cow field here and googled Particular 2 rain, and lo and behold the plugin does appear to do nice CGI rain. Okay I am sold, will be buying Trapcode Partcular 2!
:) randall

Would Particular 2 plugin software also allow for making some good CGI rain, beyond what AE could do? If so that would pretty much make the decision for me, make we want to for sure buy Particular 2. I need the smoke now for my short film project, but for an indie feature I am writing and want to indie produce, I would love to be able to add in some digital rain.
-- randall

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Smoke Particles ?
by on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:30:57 am

I'll second Tudor's opinion -- Particular is a must-have that is worth every penny.

Another rain option is Rainfall [link] from Digieffects. It's a 2D particle system, quite different from Particular, and it has totally different strengths and weaknesses.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved