ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video :: projector advice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliot Cole
Video :: projector advice
on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:19:49 pm

Hello!

I'm making my first video in after effects, and I'm giving a live showing in a few weeks (supertitles for a hip hopera). I was hoping that somebody could give me some advice about how to optimize what I'm doing for the projector it's going to be on. To wit:

"Sharp Notevision XR32X has a native aspect ratio of 4:3, and can operate in the following video modes: 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 480i, 540p, 1035i, 576p." More info: http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=Sharp+XR-32X&rt=sp&modelid=21295322

The video will be mostly dynamic typography with some Prelinger footage mixed in.

I'll be in a dark club on a fairly large screen.

The very few times I've done something with video there's some always crisis with pixellation, blurriness, proportions, compression, format, something -- can anybody point me in the right direction and spare me this fate?

Thanks!
Elliot

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Video :: projector advice
on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:35:13 pm

One thing you need to know that will most likely point you and us in the right direction: what will you use as your player? A plain DVD player (SD), a Blue Ray player, a computer/hard disk player...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Elliot Cole
on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:54:44 pm

I'm planning to play from a laptop straight out of Logic (to handle the multichannel sound). However I do have a DVD (regular) at my disposal. Which would you use?

Thanks!
E

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Apr 25, 2011 at 11:25:34 pm

A "regular" SD DVD player puts out a 480i or 480p image, regardless of the aspect ratio of your video.

Running it from the computer, assuming your graphics card supports it, you could run full 1080p. I've done projections from a Mac laptop at 1280x720p but have to set the projector as the main monitor and set the resolution out to match.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Apr 26, 2011 at 6:16:27 am

From the specs on your projector it seems that the most it can do is 1600x1200- and that probably through the computer input. So playing from a laptop would give you the best option. Also there's no need to work at 1080. If you can, do a few simple tests- use text with no blur on it, text with a Fast Blur of .3 and .7 and see what that looks like.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Apr 26, 2011 at 1:05:40 pm

Sorry to disagree here. According to the specs -

Sharp XR-32X DLP Projector (1024x768, 2500 Lumens, 2,200:1, HDTV Compatible)

its native resolution is only XGA (1024x768). One can feed it lower or higher resolutions, and its internal electronics will accept probably these other resolutions (up to a limit), but it will also internally scale the input to 1024x768 for output. That's the only resolution the chip will handle - its native resolution.

Essentially, it is pointless to produce material higher than 1024x768 when the projector will only output that resolution. On the other hand, higher res materiial scaled down to a lower res is likely to look sharper, etc...like watching 1920x1080 material on a TV that is 1366x768.

Advice: Do a test.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Apr 26, 2011 at 3:54:14 pm

The link posted at the beginning did not work for me, so I got my specs from google-ing the name of the projector- this is what I got:
Native: 1024x768 Pixels
Maximum: 1600x1200 Pixels
Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (XGA)

Probably it scales up to 1600x1200, but I still see benefits of working at this resolution. Thomas mentioned the first one- better resolution in the beginning means better looking animation in the scaled down version. Also working at 1600x1200 will allow you to see on your screen what the projected image will be and if by any chance the computer input allows for a higher resolution you will have it.
On one thing Thomas and I agree though: do tests first.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Elliot Cole
on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:13:57 pm

Thanks to everybody for your help --

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]