ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

darken background

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Fledderdarken background
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:24:58 pm

Hello there,
So I shot a series of interviews with 7Ds, two angles. I liked the way the side angle turned out, the front angle looks like tie-dye mania. I want to darken out the background on the front angle so that it is not noticeable/ doesn't clash with clothing.
I am fairly new to AE, but I know my way around it just fine. Can you suggest some options, the simplest way to do this? Reshooting is not an option. Thank you!!!!

Side angle:

Front angle:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: darken background
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:22:32 pm

You'll need to separate the subject from the background to darken the background-only layer. My question is this:How accurate does it have to be?

I can think of a quick 'n dirty way involving feathered, animated mattes on the subject-only layer that would leave a little edge of brightness around the subject, and which wouldn't necessarily move in sync with the subject.

If accuracy counts, you could try AE 10's Rotobrush on this, but be warned: YOU CAN NOT USE ROTOBRUSH INTUITIVELY. You have to look at tutorials and read the documentation:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3bf812c123007fb8513559d...

Or you could resort to the time and pain of Rotoscoping:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS39e706a46ad531be1172e08...

Adobe tends to write its documentation as if it's being read only by software engineers. So you have to read it carefully.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sarah FledderRe: darken background
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:50:03 pm

Hi Dave,
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I am really leaning toward quick n' dirty, as I have a lot of these interviews I need to post. Could you elaborate a little on your feathered animated mattes idea? I have two angles, so if anyone really starts moving his/her head, I can cut to the second angle.

Best,
Sarah

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: darken background
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 6:55:19 pm

In your situation color grading using power masks will do the trick. In AE you can use Colorista to do that or just use a rough mask around the subject on an adjustment layer (if the subject does not move a lot you may be able to set just one keyframe, a few pixels away from the subject), feather that mask (play with the feather once you apply the following filters) and then apply Levels or Curves (set mask to Substract to affect the exterior) to darken the background.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: darken background
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 6:56:20 pm

Yup. That's easier than my method for sure.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sarah FledderRe: darken background
by on May 5, 2011 at 11:43:53 pm

Thank you so much for your help, the two of you. I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]