ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Interesting contrast

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy BernhardtInteresting contrast
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 2:51:33 pm

Hello All-

Below you will read an interesting contrast between Todd of Adobe and Peter of BorisFX from an issue with my system which started with the update of Production Premium CS5

When trying to use any of BCC 3D object filters system crashes. I've called up old 3d logos from months past and they also crash while trying to read .eps file. Tried disabling open gl, no luck. Tried turning video preview off, no luck. Any recommendations?

Randy Bernhardt
http://www.postop.tv

This only happens when using the Boris effects?

If so, my first recommendation is to not use those effects.

Then, submit a bug report with details about exactly which effects are causing the problem, so we can work with Boris to find and address the problem.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Hi Randy,

Time for me to hit the sack but let's pick this up first thing in the morning and get it sorted out. I'm going to see who we can involve to get this working for you and if it means that we have to modify the BCC software to make it work then rest assured that I will champion that cause and make it happen for you or fall to the ground trying. I've been with BFX as a product manager for over 12 years and it's people like you that have kept me in a job by remaining loyal customers - it's not something that I take lightly.

Thanks for your patience while we sort this out.

Cheers,

Peter.

The response above from Peter was after working with me for several hours to find the solution. The next day a member of Peter's team sent me a link for the correct driver necessary to fix the issues caused by the update.

Gee I wonder which guy I'd like in my corner.

Randy Bernhardt

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Interesting contrast
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:01:55 pm

Considering that your issue was something caused by the Boris Plugin's update, it seems like Todd's response was not inappropriate. He asked for a bug report so that he could work with Boris to find the solution. The issue was not with After Effects at all, but with the plugin so the only thing Todd could do was to work with Boris.
Often work can continue on a project with an effect missing while the rest of the comp is put together while the technical teams work on fixing issues with a plugin and fix it in time for the product to go out. Turning off the plugin and submitting a bug report is exactly what I would do.
I've been around these forums for a while and I've seen Todd do some amazingly helpful things for many, many people. I would want him in my corner any day.
Keep in mind, Todd is on these forums during his free time. (Had you contacted Adobe support and recieved such a brief response, I would understand a mild feeling of frustration.)

The Boris guy sounds great. I would want both he and Todd in my corner working with me to resolve my problem (which is what Todd suggested.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Randy BernhardtRe: Interesting contrast
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 6:37:17 pm

Michael-

The bug was caused when CS5 updated. So is that a Boris bug? I think not. I'm not knocking Todd, I'm simply showing a direct contrast in customer support between 2 companies. If there is anything to be learned here it is don't become complacent.

Randy Bernhardt

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Interesting contrast
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 6:54:24 pm

Sorry, from the content of your post, I'd assumed it was a Boris update you were talking about. In any case, I still think Todd's response was appropriate. Filing a bug report lets Adobe know there's a problem so they can fix things and lets them start the process of troubleshooting with Boris.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:01:58 pm

Bug reports don't meet hard deadlines. Never have, never will. That's why I came here for a solution and I found one with Peter's dedication.

Randy Bernhardt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Interesting contrast
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:37:10 pm

...and I'm certain you broke your neck to get onto Adobe's own AE forum, post the fix for other Boris users, and wait for the reaction from the Adobe staff.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:23:14 pm

Huh?

Randy Bernhardt

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Interesting contrast
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:47:22 pm

Randy, I think that it's really wonderful that you've highlighted Boris's outstanding support here. They should be publicly recognized for their efforts.

That said -- and please don't take this personally -- I find it very frustrating when someone publicly maligns an employee who is passionate about their product, and who is trying to help outside traditional support channels. Posts like this discourage companies and their employees from participating here. I, for one, would hate to see Adobe employees like Todd and Dennis leave.

This specific bug belonged to Boris, not Adobe. Todd's suggestion to file a bug report so that an Adobe engineer can start working with Boris may have been terse, but he was describing how to approach this problem on the Adobe side. Boris has great support, and I don't want to take anything away from that -- but they should be working hard to help a customer when their product fails.

Todd is a huge asset to the After Effects community. He has worked tirelessly improving AE's documentation and support, reaching out on Adobe's behalf to the community of users, and even contributing to new features in AE. I'm very glad that he spends some of his time here trying to help.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2011 at 6:54:42 pm

Walter-

The issue was created when updating CS5 not Boris, so how does that become a Boris bug? Maligns is pretty strong language, this is simply a direct comparison in their responses. I'm sure Todd has done some amazing things for Adobe's AE, after all he is an employee. In your entire response the only thing that makes sense is that "he's trying to help". Maybe he should try a little harder. There is a lesson to be learned here.

Randy Bernhardt

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Interesting contrast
by on Apr 24, 2011 at 11:31:28 pm

You said that Peter had you install a new driver that fixed the problem. Would you tell us all what that driver was, so that we can all benefit and better help others who encounter this same problem?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]