ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering Settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin LeybaRendering Settings
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:28:22 pm

Hey guys!

What's the best way to render an HD animation? .Avi? .Mpeg2?

P.s. After my animation stops to render, I saw hundreds of jpeg files in my desktop. What did I do wrong?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Rendering Settings
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 2:03:42 pm

You selected to render your composition as a JPEG sequence.

Your final output will vary depending on your intended use (You'd use different compression for YouTube than you would for Blu-ray).

However, out of AE, I would suggest you render a lossless file and use the Adobe Media Encoder, Quicktime Pro, or any other dedicated compression software to do your final compression. h.264 is a pretty popular one for HD video and it benefits greatly from multipass encoding which AE cannot do by itself.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Justin LeybaRe: Rendering Settings
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:05:11 pm

After I render the animation, I plan on putting it on Sony Vegas to incorporate with the rest of my video. What settings do you recommend?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Rendering Settings
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:53:50 pm

Do you need any alpha information for this render? Some formats support it while others don't.

Be warned, these suggestions are uncompressed video and uncompressed video creates some pretty large file sizes.
You could do an uncompressed AVI.
You could do Quicktime with the Animation Codec.
You could do Quicktime with the PNG codec.
You can test what works best for you. I'd suggest the Quicktime with the PNG codec if you're working with video footage or similar things, because it tends to have the smallest file sizes. Now, if you're doing strictly animation, the Animation codec may have the smaller file sizes. In any case these are all technically lossless file types which means you won't lose any quality.

Now, if you don't mind a tiny loss of quality, you could also try Quicktime with the JPG codec set at around 80-90% and you'll have even smaller file sizes. It's still going to be large compared to the rather compressed video that comes off of your camcorder.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Justin LeybaRe: Rendering Settings
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:03:56 pm

These won't create millions of jpegs in my desktop right? lol.

And is it normal for my 15 sec footage to render for hours and hours? 'Cause I was a little surprised.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering Settings
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:33:52 pm

[Justin Leyba] "And is it normal for my 15 sec footage to render for hours and hours? 'Cause I was a little surprised."

There's a lot more we'd need to know before we can say for sure.

But here's a question: new to after effects? Don't try to learn it intuitively. The best policy is to begin at the beginning. Anything else is like jumping into the deep end of the pool wearing lead weights:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

...and for the same cost as a video game, here's something even better:
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321734866

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]