ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do i work with hd footage when output is for dvd?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cherlique lilienthalHow do i work with hd footage when output is for dvd?
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 2:34:41 am

my workflow is as following: i shoot the footage with my canon hv40 hdv 1440*1080 24p camcorder.
i capture via firewire card in premiere pro cs5 or hdv split. i edit in after effects in a 1080*1920, 23.973fps project and when im done render out lossles avi. then i burn the dvd with nero vision and it automaticly gets down zised to sd footage. now a collegue of mine told me that it would be better to just scale everything down in a standard defenition after effects project to begin with and render out in a sd format or resolution. is this right? wil this really improve my footage quality for dvd output?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How do i work with hd footage when output is for dvd?
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:24:50 am

I see a few things that need to be addressed in your workflow:
Editing in AE- if you mean by that image editing as in effects, than AE is the app to use, but if it is just straight editing (cutting the footage together) you should use Premiere for that.
When rendering for final output it is best to render uncompressed from AE and then compress using Adobe Media Encoder. You can also skip the render at uncompressed resolution step and open the AE project in Encoder and render compressed from there (use MPEG2 DVD preset).
As far as the advice you got: it is always best to work at the highest resolution possible all the way to the end of your project and then compress and scale the final piece.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

cherlique lilienthalRe: How do i work with hd footage when output is for dvd?
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:41:07 am

so i was right after all. i tough he might be right because sometimes if you scale a picture or footage down in size it looks a bit sharper. does adobe encoder do the same when compressing hd to sd? and yes i do the editing in premiere pro and everything else (color grading, visual effects etc.) in after effects.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:53:50 am

In any workflow, when the source footage is at a higher resolution than the final output, the final output will look better than if the footage was the same size. The trick is to keep working at the highest resolution all the way to the end and then to scale down.
Encoder is designed for compression, allowing for variable bit rates and multiple passes, and thus allowing for better results than what AE can do.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:23:59 am

alright the thanx for al the advice. but i still have one question. wich would you reccomend, adobe encore or nero? i used nero because it has the HQ option wich i dont see in encore.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:17:20 am

Adobe Media Encoder (not Encore) is the compression software I am referring to. It has quite a few options for DVD encoding and in my experience it does a very good job at that.
Here's a link to some information about Encoder:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/mediaencoder/cs/using/WS81733643-B4A6-45c5-ABD7...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: How do i work with hd footage when output is for dvd?
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:57:12 pm

Here's an interesting video of varying ways of converting HD to SD to maintain best quality. It's for CS4, but most of it holds true for CS5. (Only difference is the location of the maximum quality switch.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:58:03 pm

Whoop, got excited and didn't include the link.
http://bellunevideo.com/tutorials/CS4_HD2SD/CS4_HD2SD.html

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2011 at 6:42:23 pm

i mean wich is better for burning. adobe encore (dvd authoring software in the adobe creative suite) or ner vision (dvd authoring software in the nero 10 suite)? the reason i use nero a lot is because of the HQ option wich reduces the duration of a standard dvd (2 hours) to 1 hour so the transcoding proces can use less compression. so was just wondering wich would give a better output.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:01:53 pm

If you do the MPEG-2 compression out of Premiere/Adobe Media Encoder, then Nero and Encore will have the same output.

If, however, you want your DVD softare to do the transcoding/compression, I have never had an issue with Encore's level of compression. It adjusts depending on the length of the video to keep it at a pretty high quality. I mean, you can't get over 8mb/s with DVDs anyway.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]