ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video Screen Captures Look Choppy when I import to AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Mol
Video Screen Captures Look Choppy when I import to AE
on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:58:22 am

Okay I've been going quite crazy here with some video screen captures I made with Camstudio (with Camstudio loseless plugin). Okay I made about 8 video screen captures with Camstudio of some web site projects I created which look really nice when the captures come out of Camstudio as avi's. But when I try to import the avi's into AE cs3 the videos begin to look choppy when in movement. Can anyone help me here? do I need to download additional plugins, codecs? any help will be much appreciated...

p.s. Im not an expert in AE so please be very discriptive.

thank you.

John

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Video Screen Captures Look Choppy when I import to AE
on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:58:00 am

AE will not playback files at full frame rate unless they are rendered for preview. That may be your issue. Are you trying to view the files by clicking on the play button or the RAM preview?
Here's a useful link.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Johnny Mol
on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:55:27 pm

I understand what your saying but that is not my issue....even if I just go through the video footage without actually playing it it shows up blocky, and with different color static...see attached image. This will also appear when I try to export my video footage into a mov video.

I tried downloading every codec I can think of and it still does not help.

I opened it in AE CS4 and it looks good but CS4 scales down all my video footage to half the resolution which I dont understand why, I tried changing the pixel aspect ration and it still does not scale my footage back up to the original resolution...my videos are about 1200x700 and when I open my project in CS4 it scales all my footage down by half, about 600x480.

Im not a pro in AE either....any more advice would really be appreciated...thanks

john

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:37:49 pm

You're running AE 9. Is it updated to at least 9.0.3? It's free. It came out AFTER the release of AE 10.

AE 9 also still had a nasty habit of reacting poorly to long-gop footage. What's the codec of your footage?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Johnny Mol
on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:28:39 pm

Yes I do have the updates....its odd because if I open my CS3 project in AE CS4 it works fine but CS4 seems to scale down all my video footage resolution. My original Screen Video footage is about 1200x800 but when I open my project in AE CS4 it scales down all my videos to about half around 600x480 which doesnt work because then the footage looks bad when I zoom in and out.

So CS3 makes my videos look choppy and blocky and CS4 makes my videos scale down alot....I tried adjusting the pixel aspec ratio but that does not help in scaling up my videos to original size.

As for Codecs, I just used the camstudio loseless codec and exported it as a avi video...which looks great until I bring it into CS3....

Any ideas??? please remember I am a newby with AE so please be detailed...thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Apr 22, 2011 at 6:43:48 pm

Camtasia Studio captures the screen well enough for playback and editing in Camtasia and also in Premiere. Not good enough though for AE work. I think you may need to transcode the files you have to a lossless codec and bring them in AE after. Also, Camtasia has a inclination to capture at a weird frame rate even if you set one at the beginning. So even if you want to record 29.97 for example, Camtasia may end up recording at 23 fps.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Johnny Mol
on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:06:50 pm

I'm not using camtasia I'm using camstudio...would the same apply for camstudio video screens?

Do you know how I would be able to open my project in cs4 without it scaling down my videos? Because it works in cs4 but it scales down my videos by half...any idea how to fix this issue

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:13:12 pm

What's the footage's H&V resolution when you highlight it in the project window and read the info on it?

By the way: "AVI" is not a codec. It's merely a media container, like quicktime. Within that media container you can use many different kinds of compression. While you're checking the resolution, you can also check out the codec.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Johnny Mol
on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:48:00 pm

The resolution of my screen capture is 1200x750 and when I go to video options to set compression I use the Camstudio Lossless Codec v1.4 which gives the best quality video (learned it in Youtube video)...In the you tube video he mentions to use 60 fps which I did use which I first thought was the problem but I even tried 30fps and I still get the same issue.

when I use Gspot to check what codec is exactly used it says avi format and codec = Camstudio Lossless Codec v1.4.

Also if I open my project in CS4 my videos look fine but they are scaled down to half the size which is around 600x480...why does it do this is there a way to get my videos back up to the original resolution? I tried changing the aspect ratios and it still doesnt scale my videos back up...any thoughts???

john

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:43:49 pm

That's not quite what I meant. I already KNOW what you say is happening. Simply highlight the imported footage in AE's project window. What does the information panel at the top tell you about the H&V resolution?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Johnny Mol
on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:20:42 pm

When I highlight a video footage in ae cs3 and check the top of the project panel it just says 1200x750 (1.00) and the video format avi....is this what you mean? What is H&V resolution? I appreciate your time trying to help mr out with this.

J

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:31:18 pm

Are you looking at a full resolution preview at 100%? Cause if AE says the footage is 1200x750 than it's not smaller than what you captured and as far as the quality of the image you should not have any loss unless the preview is set to Half (or less) and not full. (Just in case you do not know where to look you find them at the bottom of your preview window)

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Johnny Mol
on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:50:44 pm

Okay I will break it down...in cs3 my videos which I import are at 1200x750 avi's. My composition is 650x350, I place my videos within this comp and scale them down and add zoom in and outs...my videos are looking really blocky and static colored here, even when I export the footage to a mov file.

When I open my project above in cs4 my project opens still at 650x350 which is good but all my videos get scaled down from 1200x750 to around 600x400 and the videos within the comp look really small now...the videos look good and do not have the blocky, pixelated bug which shows up in cs3 but all the videos are scaled down...

Any thoughts???....I'm thinking I may have to use a different video capture program?

J

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Apr 23, 2011 at 9:28:26 am

If I understand correctly, you scale down the footage and then you zoom in and out? If that is correct, then do not scale down, set the footage at original size in 3d space to get the desired apparent size in the frame and then zoom in and out.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]