ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Scale without a filter?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc BrownScale without a filter?
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 11:28:58 pm

Basically I have a 176x223 video whose horizontal resolution I am trying to double. The nature of the video, plus the fact that it is a low resolution, means what I'm specifically attempting to do is double the horizontal pixels.

It is no surprise that After Effects chooses to give a filtered result in order to smooth out the scaling operation. (So that therefore what starts out as nice, sharp, digital edges becomes softened and unusable.) But I was surprised at my inability to find a way to change how it handles scaling.

It also didn't help to drag the video to an oversized comp, scale it there, and drag it back to a 352x223 comp. Aside from the fact that I never got anything usable out of this idea, the problem is that the blurriness being applied to the pixels is doubled in the horizontal, so even if it had worked, it wouldn't have worked.

Probably a dumb question with a quick and easy answer. Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Scale without a filter?
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 11:42:37 pm

The quick answer is: NO, you can't do that without a filter.
That being said you may try using a filter like this one to enlarge the size of your footage:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Marc BrownRe: Scale without a filter?
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 12:28:42 am

Solved my own problem.

I felt like I was hitting a brick wall. Worse than that. The inability to do something so simple was manifestly inexplicable. Even Photoshop (my last result) failed, because its nearest-neighbor algorithm comes packaged with an undefeatable sharpening process that destroys the image.

Thank bog for VirtualDub and its flexible built-in resize filter. Back to work.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Scale without a filter?
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 12:46:04 am

It seems I'm a little too late, but in AE, turning the layer's quality switch [link] from Best to Draft might give you the look you want. You'd have to be careful to render the layer at draft quality, though, as most render settings default all quality switches to high.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved