ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Uniform Perspective on 3D Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan CuppernullUniform Perspective on 3D Layers
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 5:04:40 pm

I was wondering if there is a way/trick to have a group of 3D layers in After Effects show the same perspective when located at different positions?

Basically I have a bunch of 3D layers in a grid, each rotating on the Y-Axis 180 degrees. The ones in the center of the comp are aligned prospectively to the center of the camera, but as perspective works, as they get further from the camera center the perspective changes. I am wanting them all to have the same angle/perspective. Basically wanting them all to rotate as if you were looking dead center at them all, really don't even need perspective just layers to rotate around.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for any help/tips!

Return to posts index

Mato KokoticRe: Uniform Perspective on 3D Layers
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 5:36:36 pm

Did you try to Auto-orient layers towards camera?

Return to posts index

Ryan CuppernullRe: Uniform Perspective on 3D Layers
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 5:49:47 pm

Just tried it, didn't change the perspective. Thanks though.

Return to posts index

Mato KokoticRe: Uniform Perspective on 3D Layers
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 6:28:41 pm

Try without camera. Precompose all rotating layers in one big comp, then import that comp in the other and use it as 2d layer. Without camera in either composition. That should give you a flat look.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 20, 2011 at 7:08:12 pm

The precomp doesn't have a camera. I tried with and without a camera. When placing it into another comp, it carries over the rotation angles whether the precomp is a 3D or 2D layer in the new comp. Adding a camera in the main comp and setting the precomp to collapse transforms is better, it causes the perspective to be based off the main comps camera.

Really I just want 3D layers without perspective. Not sure if that's possible, though I feel like it should be. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Uniform Perspective on 3D Layers
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 7:57:40 pm

I think you may need to elaborate a bit - why would you want 3d layers if you do not want perspective? From what I understand from your info, it seems all you need is to create the composition in 2d, position your layers using scale and x and y, precomp and then make that comp 3d and use it in the master comp with a camera and other layers.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Apr 20, 2011 at 8:45:19 pm

I basically want a fixed perspective on all the 3D layers. The perspective is fine for layers close to the center fo the comp, as they get farther away the perspective changes. I want them all to have the same perspective.

I guess the only way would be to precompose each 3D layer on it's own so the camera is centered for all.

Return to posts index

Philippe LessardRe: Uniform Perspective on 3D Layers
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 9:16:13 pm

Yep, one precomp by elements, and put a camera in each of the precomp then move your precomp in the main comp where you want, the perspective should'nt change.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Uniform Perspective on 3D Layers
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 10:10:35 pm

If you don't need your camera to be perspective correct for any other purpose you can get very close to an orthographic view if you create a camera with an incredibly long focal length.

For a 1920x1080 comp you could try a focal length of 256,000 pixels. Then move your camera to -256,000 on the z-axis and it should eliminate almost all perspective from the shot.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Apr 21, 2011 at 6:04:02 pm

Thanks! That did the trick. Had to mess with the values a bit to get place it all right, but it definitely eliminated all perspective.

Am i crazy to wonder why there isn't an option to only have 3D Layers without perspective. I'm sure it's not super useful, but it is nice to have, Or at least be able to set an orthographic camera.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Uniform Perspective on 3D Layers
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 8:03:11 pm

[Ryan Cuppernull] "Am i crazy to wonder why there isn't an option to only have 3D Layers without perspective. I'm sure it's not super useful, but it is nice to have, Or at least be able to set an orthographic camera."

An orthographic camera would make a great feature request [link]. Adobe really reads these, so your input is valuable!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

criis dawRe: Uniform Perspective on 3D Layers
by on Nov 9, 2012 at 2:42:42 pm

works for me !!

nice swan !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>