ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS5 locks up when importing PSD file as composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryant CoffeyAfter Effects CS5 locks up when importing PSD file as composition
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 2:47:17 am

Hey all,

I'm having a strange deal happening with the new AE CS5 while importing a photoshop document. I have quite a few layers and it was quite large, however, I also scaled it down and tried it that way as well. I import as composiiton, merge layer styles and disable the Photoshop 3d. I get it imported as usual, then a thinking mouse pointer, then beach ball of death. Mac OS X Snow Leopard, MBP 17" 2.3 Quad 8 Ram. File sizes tried as follows with the PSD ->

5007x1853 -> 206.9MB
2918x1080 -> 76.6MB
1920x711 -> 36.3MB

The PSD file is also an RGB colorspace. Any ideas as to what might be happening here? Thanks!

Bryant

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: After Effects CS5 locks up when importing PSD file as composition
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 4:08:09 pm

Does it do it with other PSD files or just that one?
How about if you reboot, start a new project and try to import that PSD file into the new project?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Bryant CoffeyRe: After Effects CS5 locks up when importing PSD file as composition
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 8:36:37 pm

Well, I just quickly threw together a psd and it imported as a comp with the layers... So seemingly it would just be this file. It's fairly complex but I wouldn't think that that would matter...Attached is a few images

1) The completed painting
2) The layer structure in PSD

Anything look odd as to why it wouldn't work?

Thanks.

Bryant

Bryant Coffey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS5 locks up when importing PSD file as composition
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 9:54:46 pm

I see two things that can be eliminated from the image: the fog and the lightning; I presume you'd want to animate both of them in AE.

Then flatten everything except for the layers that compose the foreground, midground, background, etc. I understand that this may be impossible, and that you'll have to ask us, "How do I accomplish this specific effect?" rather than, "How do I get this into AE?"

I'm also unsure that the "8" in the phrase Mac OS X Snow Leopard, MBP 17" 2.3 Quad 8 Ram" means; I'll assume it means 8GB RAM. I wouldn't try to use multiprocessing if that's the case. I don't use multiprocessing on my dual quad-core Mac Pro at work, because I know multiprocessing isn't effective on it and it's oftentimes detrimental... especially with big images.

And as always, Turn off Open GL for rendering. Previewing? It's okay. Rendering? Nope.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]