ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

replacing Illustrator file for size

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarahmaria Gomezreplacing Illustrator file for size
by on Apr 19, 2011 at 2:51:29 pm

Hi,
Thank you so much for your help in advance and I apologize if someone has answered this question before (I swear I searched the archives!)
I am working off a designer's Illustrator files, I am animating her designs. The dimensions of the original file were small, she wanted to see what I could do. I spent about 6 hours working on this baby-- mostly puppet tool and stroking keyframes to get the write-on effect.
Obviously, the final product was not as crisp as she would have liked because we started off with a small doc. Now she's giving me the full-sized one.
Question is--can I save my work from the small comp and replace it? Can I just readjust the keyframes or should I start over?
I have only been using AE for a few months seriously, so your guidance would be much appreciated.
Much thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: replacing Illustrator file for size
by on Apr 19, 2011 at 2:59:49 pm

It doesn't matter what size the Illustrator files are. They're vector files. If you check the continuously rasterize button in AE, it'll rasterize them and they'll be nice and crisp no matter how much you scale them.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Sarahmaria G.Re: replacing Illustrator file for size
by on Apr 19, 2011 at 3:09:09 pm

Wow!!! Much thanks for the quick and extremely helpful response.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: replacing Illustrator file for size
by on Apr 19, 2011 at 3:26:38 pm

No problem. There's a ton of info on Illustrator in AE here [link] including links to tutorials and more!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: replacing Illustrator file for size
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 11:58:41 am

Continuous rasterization though is not compatible with the puppet tool effect. The puppet tool always remembers the original position of the pins, and if the underlying layer changes it will all go wrong.

To make this work with illustrator make a large composition (size of your final output or larger), put the illustrator file in and scale up to fill the frame. Turn on contious rasterization. This should now be sharp.

Put this subcomp inside another comp and apply the puppet tool.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Sarah GomezRe: replacing Illustrator file for size
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:22:40 pm

Thanks for this, Jon--this makes total sense. I was animating fish with the puppet tool. When I clicked the magic rasterize button there were strange ghost fish floating around my comp. After hours of trying to figure out what the heck was going on, I just reanimated the layer and the ghosts went away. On the bright side, I didn't have to redo the entire comp, which I was going to do before I found this fab forum. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]