ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Face/hand stretching out of the mirror effect ? (how?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randall OelerichFace/hand stretching out of the mirror effect ? (how?)
by on Apr 19, 2011 at 1:00:37 pm

I have a short film in mind where I want to play with some CGI/VFX using After Effects, not sure if or how I can do what I want to do. Not sure if and what I need to set it up before/during the shoot? Help appreciated!

-- rippling, pulsating mirror surface

-- face and/or hand bulging out of the surface of a bathroom vanity mirror, as if an extension of the mirror, like you see in movies like Mirrors, etc. The bulging face/hand should have the form of a face/hand, but the surface color/texture of a chrome / mirror surface.

I have Adobe After Effects, a giant (3'x3') piece of latex rubber sheeting (amber in color), bathroom vanity with a 14x18 inch rectangular removable mirror. I set up the latex sheet across a door passage so today I plan to shoot some footage of a face/hand pushing/stretching it out, record that on film, both with the natural amber color of the latex and also spray paint the latex green although I imagine it will end up as a craquelque effect which oddly could look interesting.

Any thoughts on how I can do what I want to do? Do I need to paint the mirror green for green screening, or if I keep the camera locked can I film the mirror as is and then crop it in Adobe for the ripple effect?

Do I need to paint the amber colored sheet of latex green for green screening?

Any help greatly appreciated! I have all my props and location for filming my short film, I just need to decide if and how I can do the face/hand effect out of the mirror, otherwise I will have to settle with just a ripple effect on the mirror surface and dark particles/smoke.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Face/hand stretching out of the mirror effect ? (how?)
by on Apr 19, 2011 at 2:58:08 pm

They achieved a mirrored hand look in the Matrix (when Mr. Anderson touches the mirror which ripples then starts taking over his body) in CG. You'll need a 180 or 360 degree image of the room where things are happening for the mirror to reflect. And a 3d model of the hand rigged for animating in your 3d application.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Face/hand stretching out of the mirror effect ? (how?)
by on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:08:01 pm

That being said (Michael's post)I think it's worth taking a look at the new FreeForm Pro plugin from Mettle. It can not only do 3d displacement of a face/hand:

but now has also reflection mapping, so you may be able to use it to create what you need.

Reflection mapping on variable geometry:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved