ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Recover project from non responsive AE CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin FisherRecover project from non responsive AE CS4
by on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:45:40 pm

i know its my bad, usually i have autosaving on and dont care to much because of that.. but this time i opened an old AE7 project so it was opened as an untitled project.

however when i was done and wwanted to put my comp into the render queue i noticed that it was still unsaved so i tried to save it..

AE just flashed but nothing happened and now i cant click on anything, nothing happens when i do. the task manager doesn't say its crashed and from time to time some messages like "cant create drawing surface" or something like that pop up..

i know its probably lost but since AE is still running is there any way to recover it from some temp location or extract it from ram or save it somehow??

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Recover project from non responsive AE CS4
by on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:05:21 pm

I would try importing the project (.aep file) into a new project, and hope for the best. It sounds as if the file got corrupted, in which case the import may not work. If it does, try rendering again, and if there's a problem, start deleting elements one by one. If you're lucky, just one of them is the problem. Good luck!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Recover project from non responsive AE CS4
by on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:22:30 pm

If there's no AE project file saved, and AE has just hung up on you, and it's been this way for an hour or more, I'd say your project is toast.

Time to force an exit with the task manager. I'd also recommend just shutting the machine down, bringing it up again, opening the old project in question and doing an immediate save.

It may have an old third-party plugin in it you no longer have, for instance. Or an old version of a current plugin, but with different parameters. Better to find out the bad news right away.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

dave irionRe: Recover project from non responsive AE CS4
by on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:44:33 pm

try this script next time:

I've used it successfully to save projects that were unresponsive.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Recover project from non responsive AE CS4
by on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:55:04 pm

If you are running AE CS3 or higher on Mac OS X, AE Suicide [link] might help.

If you are UNIX-inclined, you can do the same thing this script does on the Terminal by using "kill -SEGV xxx" on the main AE process. (You can find its process ID [PID] to replace xxx with Activity Monitor.)

Either way, it will force the application to close, and the AdobeCrashDaemon will work its magic and try to save out a copy of the project.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Greg C NeumayerRe: Recover project from non responsive AE CS4
by on Mar 3, 2016 at 8:52:17 pm

This just saved my bacon! I got an hour in and forget to save my project!
Worth the $10.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved