ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE renders 16:9 to 4:3 aspect ratio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler McNeillAE renders 16:9 to 4:3 aspect ratio
by on Apr 16, 2011 at 8:19:43 pm

Hi everyone!

I know, there are a lot of quite similar post around, but I didn't exactly find what I needed.

I filmed my footage in HDV (1440*1080i) 25fps, exported from Premiere CS4 as progressive TIFF-Sequence. When I imported this sequence to AE (of course) it went in as 4:3.

I changed my composition settings to HDV 1080/DVCPRO HD 720 (1,33)
and interpreted my footage accordingly.

It looks great in the screen in AE, but when I render out a test it comes out 4:3.

Can somebody please help me?

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: AE renders 16:9 to 4:3 aspect ratio
by on Apr 16, 2011 at 9:19:26 pm

1440x1080 is an anamorphic format. It will look 4:3 unless whatever you use to display it knows it's anamorphic and uses non-square pixels.

What's your final delivery format?

Generally speaking I'd recommend you use 1920x1080 framesize from as early on in your production as possible. That way any graphics or changes are done at full HD.
So I'd use 1920x1080 already in Premiere. But if you've done your editing already, just set AE up for 1920x1080. Make sure you interpret the footage correctly.

If you're somehow delivering in HDV (who does that??) I guess you can stick with 1440 throughout, you just have to make sure that whatever software plays your project can handle non-square pixels.

Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Tyler McNeillRe: AE renders 16:9 to 4:3 aspect ratio
by on Apr 16, 2011 at 10:51:48 pm

Hi Jon, thanks very much for the quick reply.

Your are right. I opened a still frame in Photoshop and it looked like it's supposed to. So it really just needed to be interpreted correctly by the viewer.

I'm not very familiar with codecs in HDV but I want to export my final render from AE in some good quality HD (one of the reasons why I chose TIFFs as output from Premiere, since it seemed to keep as much quality as possible).

What is the best output-file format and codec for HDV?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: AE renders 16:9 to 4:3 aspect ratio
by on Apr 17, 2011 at 2:52:12 am

The best output video architecture (commonly called a container) and CODEC is the combo that is expected by whoever/whatever it is that will be receiving your files.

This ensures no recompression and speeds up the ingesting/import process. In a nutshell, you won't be able to provide a higher quality file than what can be used on the receiving end.

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved