ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How do you achieve this EFFECT?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruno PierceHow do you achieve this EFFECT?!
by on Apr 16, 2011 at 3:34:13 pm

I've seen this effect several times before and while it may just be a standard effect/plugin I can't seem to find it. Can anyone tell me how to achieve this effect? It occurs in this video:

at about 4 seconds in and then throughout. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Barend OnneweerRe: How do you achieve this EFFECT?!
by on Apr 16, 2011 at 5:23:58 pm

It's called light leak - usually achieved by overlaying footage of light leakage (if you opened the can of exposed film before it was developed) on top of the video.

Artbeats has light leak stock footage, but if you take a close look you might get reasonably close playing around with colored solids and animated masks.

Raamw3rk - digital storytelling and visual effects

Return to posts index

Bruno PierceRe: How do you achieve this EFFECT?!
by on Apr 16, 2011 at 10:33:08 pm

Thanks so much! I knew it was achieved by some type of overexposed method, but with digital film it's a lot different. Thanks again for the help/advice.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: How do you achieve this EFFECT?!
by on Apr 17, 2011 at 2:46:18 am

I find the Light parameter in Shatter pretty awesome for such effects. Unlike Levels (keyframed and applied to an Adjustment Layer), which is another popular method, Shatter's Light property has color AND direction. The direction property makes the effect so much more effective.

Of course you will want to switch off Shatter's primary properties so that shattering doesn't occur.

BTW, welcome back Barend!

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: How do you achieve this EFFECT?!
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 6:08:44 pm

Here are some tutorials on it:

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved