ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

2D "Spinning World" graphic in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Josefik2D "Spinning World" graphic in AE
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 9:22:00 pm

New guy here. I would consider myself an intermediate level user of After Effects, getting by on tutorials and whatnot. I have run into something I would like to do that I cannot find any info on. I would like to animate a vector globe that is contained within a logo. The logo can be found here and it is the red world in the "O" in the Connected World logo that I am referring to. I want it to look like it is spinning, but not like a 3D sphere. I want it to look like a flat 2D graphic still. I have tried using CC Sphere + Motion Tile in AE, but it contains light and shadows for a 3D effect, and you can see through to the backside. I do, however, want it to be transparent where the globe's water is so you could see a background color behind it.

Just to cover my bases, I did try and use the "full map" (which I applied Motion Tile to for the spin) with a solid under it in the Comp that I applied the CC Sphere effect to, hoping that I could turn off the default light effect and mess with the ambient light and contrast to make it a flat black and white to use as an alpha matt. This proved to work OK, but it just seemed like a convoluted and inefficient way of doing it.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 2D "Spinning World" graphic in AE
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 9:38:19 pm

Well, this one's pretty easy: stick with CC Sphere! No foolin': if you precomp a high-contrast spherical earth map (available from NASA), you can make oceans transparent, and colorize the land.

Then add the precomp to the main comp, apply CC Sphere, fool around with the effect's lighting controls, change a setting to show just the outside, and voila!

Take ten minutes... fart around with the CC Shhere's controls... you'll find 'em and you will have learned something.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael JosefikRe: 2D "Spinning World" graphic in AE
by on Apr 15, 2011 at 1:15:41 pm

Well I guess I was on the right track. Thanks for the help I am getting a much better result.

Return to posts index

Christoph HeilRe: 2D "Spinning World" graphic in AE
by on May 11, 2015 at 9:21:00 am

Maybe it's a little late, but here comes a trick to solve the remove-shading-problem (in case you'll need a flat-designed moving sphere):

Make two versions of your worldmap-precomp. First one is transparent and contains only the "land", second one can be filled with any color-solid. In your Main_Compositon. the first, transparent Precomp lays above the second "filled" Precomp. Now you can add the "cc-sphere"-effect.
Once you have added the "cc-sphere"-effect, you'll find the parameter "Render". Put this to "Outside" and add the "fill"-effect. Now you're able to choose any color you want.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved