ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Paddle wheel of type

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Christoff
Paddle wheel of type
on Apr 14, 2011 at 4:00:59 pm

Hello,

I've created a "paddle wheel" animation with type acting as the "paddles". There are 12 paddles. The animation is created using a null at the center to control the rotation and 12 lines of copy positioned around the center and oriented to the camera to create a kind of scrolling barrel of type.

My issue is that the "wheel" i have created only holds 12 lines of copy but there are 39 lines that I need to have move around the wheel. I need a solution to create a seamless wheel where I can add as many lines as needed using copies of the same wheel with different lines of copy in place.

I am working on lowering the opacity of each line of text as it reaches the back of the wheel, and then raising the opacity of another type layer in its place, one after the other and so on. Would something as simple as masking off a portion of the wheel and creating a copy of it using the same mask to reveal it work?

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Paddle wheel of type
on Apr 14, 2011 at 4:30:13 pm

It sounds as if you could precompose the layers containing the type that needs to change, dissolving to the new type when the layer is at the back of its revolution around the hub.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick Christoff
on Apr 14, 2011 at 4:46:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is an option but is causing a little trouble in that each line needs to fade out—and a new one in—when it reaches the back of the wheel. This doesn't allow for multiple lines of copy to fade in/out together. Otherwise there's overlap. I need to isolate just the pieces in the back.

I'm thinking of simply duplicating each layer and making the transition within 1 main comp. That will give me control of what layer transitions when. It's going to create a huge messy comp but may be the most straight forward approach. Ideally I would like to build things for efficiency.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:28:57 pm

I think I expressed myself inaccurately. You can also put MULTIPLE lines of type into the precomp, one precomp per paddle.
When a particular paddle can't be seen well, make the dissolve to the new piece of multiple-lined type.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]