ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Any tips for working with a composition with 1000+ of layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh PigfordAny tips for working with a composition with 1000+ of layers?
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 12:44:05 am

As part of an animation I'm working on, I've got a single comp with a little over 1000 individual shape layers (all circles of varying sizes).

Right now, whenever I make any changes or just move the comp on the screen, it can take a number of seconds to make the adjustment (as opposed to being nearly instant for other layers).

So, any tips on working with so many layers/shapes in a single comp? Anything I can do to help speed up working with that many items?

For an idea of what I'm working with, here's a quick shot of all the shapes...each circle is its own layer (needed so I can animate each of them individually).

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Any tips for working with a composition with 1000+ of layers?
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 1:32:47 am

Holy Cr*p!

Set the comp viewer to a lower resolution, 1/2 or 1/4 so it doesn't have to render every pixel.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Any tips for working with a composition with 1000+ of layers?
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:10:50 am

I would maybe try pre-comping the circles into groups of maybe 250 or dividing your total circles into 5 groups - something like that. I don't know for sure whether it will decrease the overhead, but when you're testing and tweaking, at least you can turn off some of the pre-comps you're not working with. Yikes!

Another thought would be, when you're happy with the movement of one of those groups, render it off, so you're dealing with a clip, and not a mob!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Any tips for working with a composition with 1000+ of layers?
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:46:04 am

From building AE projects that big many times, I found that ...

Region of Interest is your friend.

The Shy button is your friend.

Pre-comping is your friend.

Pre-rendering is your friend.

A low-rez comp viewer is your friend.

Skipping several frames on RAM Previews is your friend.

Open-GL is not your friend.

Saving often and keeping multiple copies of your project file is your bestest friend in the whole wide world.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Any tips for working with a composition with 1000+ of layers?
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:39:55 am

Comp Rez can be set to less than 1/4. 1/8 is ideal. In Prefs>Display, select "No Motion Path" if you can live without it.

Use the Labels color code in the Timeline to create groups for selection purposes. Once a grouping based on label colors is in place, you can easily select all the layers within a group by right-clicking on a label's color swatch and choose, "Select Label Group".

Of course, the other pointers already covered are also crucial.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

stewart DaltonRe: Any tips for working with a composition with 1000+ of layers?
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 3:37:26 pm

Group select all the layers and change the quality to the lower setting. (the diagonal line in the box to the right of the layers name)
Also make sure your fast previews are set for maximum performance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]