ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Simple Morph Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul AnthonySimple Morph Problem
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 10:10:55 pm

Trying to do a simple morph in After Effects CS4, where a word gets fatter and then morphs into the next word. I carefully followed the Eran Stern video, but instead of the shapes morphing into each other the new shape fades in as the old one fades out. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Simple Morph Problem
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 11:54:02 pm

Here's a simple AE morph description that I posted a while back on this forum:
Use Mesh Warp.
Set 2 layers in a AE comp- the "morph from" layer on top of the "morph to" layer.
Start on the layer you want to morph from- apply Mesh Warp and set keyframe. Move 8 to 15 frames (or as many as you need your morph to be) and change transparency to 50% so that you can see the layer under. Use the mesh warp to distort the features of the top layer to match those of the bottom layer ( eyes to match the eyes, mouth to mouth and so on..).
Apply Mesh Warp to bottom layer and set keyframe at the end of the transition. Go back to the beginning of the transition and use the Mesh Warp to distort the bottom layer to match the top one's features.
Set transparency keyframes to animate the top layers opacity from 100% to 0 for the length of the morph.
That's basically it.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Paul AnthonyRe: Simple Morph Problem
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 12:02:46 am

Hi Ted -- thanks for posting, but I'm not morphing faces; I'm morphing words, the outlines of words need to re-shape themselves into each other. Any reason why it doesn't work correctly?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Simple Morph Problem
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 12:25:43 am

The principle of the morph I described is valid for any shapes, whether faces or words. I have used this method numerous times and have gotten great results.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Apr 14, 2011 at 12:34:49 am

Understood, but I'm not interested in manually moving points and especially not having a layer "fade out". I need the outlines of the letters to stay perfectly sharp through the morph, as if they were melting and reforming themselves into a new word. Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Simple Morph Problem
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 4:50:15 am

All morphing algorithms employ fade-in/fade-out techniques. The trick is to mask the fade transition. Other than Eran's tutorial and Ted's recipe, do take a look at Chris Zwar's Morphing COW Tutorial on using the Reshape effect.

Additionally, someone posted on a similar issue as yours about a month ago. A COW search will be another productive endeavor for you.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Mato KokoticRe: Simple Morph Problem
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 9:49:44 am

What he wants to do is, actually "tweening" of sort.
Maybe import words from Illustrator as masks on solid and keyframe paths?
Obviously require some manual work but results would be what he actually needs.

Return to posts index

yuval hoshenRe: Simple Morph Problem
by on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:18:16 pm

I did the same exercise a couple of weeks ago and followed Eran Stern's tutorial with the paint strokes. You have to make sure the different shapes are pasted as paint strokes on the same brush and keyframe them on the brush path, that way the interpolation between the different shapes will happen.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 14, 2011 at 11:31:32 pm

Thank you thank you for all the suggestions. As people are starting to mention "tweens" and creating vector paths it's making me think maybe I'm better off doing this in Flash?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 15, 2011 at 1:37:38 am

I'm attaching a link to the AE file that I created following Eran Stern's Tutorial. You can check the Morph comp to see where yours went wrong.

2192_morph.aep.zip

Return to posts index

by on Apr 15, 2011 at 5:58:27 pm

Thanks for posting Yuval -- I'm actually still on AE CS4 so I'm unable to open this. I'm trying this in Flash which is OK, but I feel like I could get something more organic in After Effects?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 16, 2011 at 1:41:16 am

That's too bad, I don't know of a way to save from CS5 to CS4 though.
Personally I don't know enough about Flash to tell if you can get similar results. You sure the Eran Stern way doesn't work for you ?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 16, 2011 at 2:56:25 am

yeah, what I get is a fading out of one image as the other fades in, and since one is bigger than the other it looks very much not like a morph. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I followed his tutorial step by step!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]