ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Getting a mask one layer to add alpha to another - mask tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent GriffinGetting a mask one layer to add alpha to another - mask tracking
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 9:34:44 am

Hey,

I'm trying to motion track a solid layer with a mask on it to 'delete' part of a footage layer. I've followed every tutorial I can find, but they always fall short on what i'm looking for.

Till now I have animated masks on the layer I want to add alpha to, but as I want to motion track this alpha mask, I have read you should make it on a separate solid layer above the layer you want to delete from.

I have the mask on the solid motion tracked to the footage, but can't get it to 'delete' the relevant section.

If I 'add' from the mask layer, you just see the solid under the mask

If I then TrkMat to Alpha, the white disappears, but you just see the footage under the mask again

I'm going crazy, anyone help?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Anders HattneRe: Getting a mask one layer to add alpha to another - mask tracking
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 9:53:49 am

Isn't it just a question of setting the track matte to Alpha Inverted?

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

Brent GriffinRe: Getting a mask one layer to add alpha to another - mask tracking
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 10:43:02 am

I wish. I've tried that, but it's not working, just reveals the white solid the mask is on. I popped a red solid under it all to show what it's doing.

I'm sure it's super simple, but it's just stumped me.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Getting a mask one layer to add alpha to another - mask tracking
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 2:09:32 pm

no bud, you set the bottom layer to use the above layer's matte... set your video to use alpha matte(not the solid)...and switch off the solid (eye icon).

Return to posts index

Brent GriffinRe: Getting a mask one layer to add alpha to another - mask tracking
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 7:12:18 pm

Man, thanks a million. I tried a tonne of different options, but of course, not that... Forest for the trees etc.

I've been trying to tighten up my fundementals of AE, and this is a reminder that now is the time, I should have had this on lock a long time ago.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]