ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS3 Ruins My Video Why?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sam gutermuth
After Effects CS3 Ruins My Video Why?
on Apr 13, 2011 at 12:57:26 am

I am not new to After Effects but I am fed up with this jitter problem that I have. I am running After Effects CS3 on a Windows XP desktop. The footage that I import is .avi or .mov and I render out to a medium quality .mov without audio at 29.97 frames per second and at a 16:9 aspect ratio. I open the footage in my other editing programs and there is a jitter/playback/grow/shrink that happens to all the layers in my project. What can I do to fix the problem? Here is one test I made to show you.

. My Email is myshorts.videos@gmail.com if you would like to contact me. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: After Effects CS3 Ruins My Video Why?
on Apr 13, 2011 at 6:21:45 am

Is your source footage interlaced?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

sam gutermuth
on Apr 13, 2011 at 12:05:42 pm

I think that it is interlaced but I'm not sure. I know I did not toggle with interlacing.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Apr 13, 2011 at 2:28:20 pm

To see whether its interlaced move through the footage frame by frame in the layer or footage window, if you see any tearing you'll need to change the interpretation of the footage. (File > Interpret Footage > Main)

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7f82a.html#WSBAFE9F35-109A-477f-88B5-9FA2DF58BE5Ca

You sample looks like the original footage may be a compressed format or long GOP format. If the original footage is HDV, MPEG or something other than uncompressed video you need to convert it first before working with it in After Effects.

Since there aren't really frames in the original After Effects cannot interpret the footage accurately.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 13, 2011 at 2:30:17 pm

All AE versions prior to the most current -- CS5 -- have big problems with long-gop footage. Could that be the problem?

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

sam gutermuth
on Apr 13, 2011 at 8:59:55 pm

I have QuickTime but how do you convert to video to png in it?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 13, 2011 at 9:07:12 pm

You export clip-by-clip. It can't be the freebie QT player, needs to be upgraded QT Pro: best 35 bucks you'll spend in many a moon.

Or try Adobe Media Encoder.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

sam gutermuth
on Apr 13, 2011 at 9:08:19 pm

It is not the free one it is QuickTime pro that is on my computer sorry for the confusion.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 13, 2011 at 9:26:01 pm

Since you seem a bit reluctant to provide details, let me also add that Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled in Final Cut Suite, can also do the job. You may have that software as well.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

sam gutermuth
on Apr 13, 2011 at 9:29:22 pm

I do not have that commpeser that you were talking about. What information do I need to give you so that you can figure out what is wrong

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 13, 2011 at 10:07:46 pm

Nose around in QT Pro settings and enable legacy codecs. There are a couple-three places to look, so stick to it. All the codecs available to QT should then show up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

sam gutermuth
on Apr 13, 2011 at 9:35:08 pm

It is interlaced

Return to posts index

stewart Dalton
on Apr 14, 2011 at 3:48:04 pm

Looks like the wrong field order, change the order in the src interperate window.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]