ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a 3D world

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Connie HybergCreating a 3D world
by on Apr 12, 2011 at 5:46:38 pm

I'm trying to create a 3d space for a title sequence in which I have a ship going through the ocean along a coastline.
I've used motion tiling to create the ocean and the coast, which are basically set up like a floor and wall, but the other space is empty and black. Obviously this doesn't really look right, I'd like it to appear as though the coast and ocean are continuing, but I'm having trouble doing that without making it look like the space is boxed in. I've tried to use digifreeform to curve the "wall" i've made for the coastline to avoid corners, but it's not really working. Does anyone have any advice as to the best way to fix this?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Creating a 3D world
by on Apr 12, 2011 at 7:06:07 pm

For a true 3d environment you would need to combine a few plugins.
Trapcode Horizon will give you a 360 sky
Psunami will create a realistic endless ocean.
Free Form can create true 3d displacement and thus land formations that can look convincing with the right alpha for the texture and the right texture.
You will have to link the Psunami Camera to the AE camera (tutorial).
You can get away with using just Horizon and Free Form with a motion tiled ocean, but that will give you a pretty flat surface.
The new FreeForm Proo plugin can create pretty amazing environments as well:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Connie HybergRe: Creating a 3D world
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 2:33:16 am

those are amazing!
I'm okay with a flat surface, I'm going for more of a 2.5D than a full 3D effect with the sequence and those plug ins are a little out of my budget right now, do you know of any cheats that might help the comp not look so boxed in but wouldn't be so expensive?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Creating a 3D world
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 6:09:59 am

It depends on how much you need your camera to move around. In the example with the ocean done in FreeForm Pro that I posted previously, the sky background is a simple layer curved by 3d distortion using the same controls as Free Form has, so you where going in the right direction with that.
Using CC Cylinder or CC Sphere with a good 360 sky texture and positioning your camera inside may give you decent results.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]