ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d Projection and Panning Camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Worsham
3d Projection and Panning Camera
on Apr 11, 2011 at 6:25:54 pm

I am not sure what this is called, so I am not sure if it has been posted, but here is my issue:

I have used grids to set up a 3d projection of an image. The camera pans well. However, now I want to put stationary objects in the 3d projection. When the camera pans, the objects placed next to a wall now move out to the center of the room because of the camera panning. How do I stop this? Is this about having anchor points? If so, how do I use them?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 3d Projection and Panning Camera
on Apr 11, 2011 at 7:31:39 pm

[Robert Worsham] "I have used grids to set up a 3d projection of an image"

What kind of 3D projector are you using? IMAX?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robert Worsham
on Apr 11, 2011 at 7:48:14 pm

I'm sorry, let me explain better. I watched an After Effects tutorial on this site that took a 2d picture and changed it to 3d using grids. The point light was used to "project" the 2d image onto the grids to create a 3d look. (No Photoshop Vanishing Point was used in this) So My issue is that, though this works great, I cannot place an object inside of the 3d room I created without the object and the 3d room moving when I move the camera. My desired result really is to have a 3d room that does not move with the camera, keeps the objects stationary that I have placed in the 3d room and have the camera "fly around" in the room past these objects. Hope that makes better sense.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Apr 11, 2011 at 8:21:33 pm

Did you unlink the projected image and the light from your camera?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Robert Worsham
on Apr 12, 2011 at 1:58:15 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I did get it working correctly. Definitely did not have my everything set properly in z-space as I thought I did.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Apr 11, 2011 at 7:59:31 pm

Or maybe you are referring to a 3d camera projection?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 11, 2011 at 8:06:05 pm

[Robert Worsham] "I have used grids to set up a 3d projection of an image. The camera pans well. However, now I want to put stationary objects in the 3d projection. When the camera pans, the objects placed next to a wall now move out to the center of the room because of the camera panning. How do I stop this? Is this about having anchor points? If so, how do I use them?"

If I understand correctly, you have built a 3D room in AE, and now you want to place objects in it. The objects are not supposed to move, but the camera is supposed to move through the room. Your placed objects don't seem to be "sticking" where they should through this camera move.

If that's the case, you have either accidentally animated the position of the object, or you haven't positioned it properly in 3D space. To position it properly, you must use more than one view [link]. For example, you might set it's X and Y position with a front view or a front and side view, and its Z position with a top view. You can set After Effects to show a single view, 2 views, or 4 views at a time.

See the attached image:

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]