ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Particle Collision Avoidance

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Klemens HerthaParticle Collision Avoidance
by on Apr 11, 2011 at 12:47:00 pm

Hi there!

I've found a ton of useful tips here already over the last years, it was about time to register here finally!

But for the following problem I don't find a solution anywhere: I need to create particles which do not overlap each other but somehow react if colliding with each other, e.g. bounce off. I know the wall / floor bounce thing, but this is not what I want!

I'm using Trapcode Particular 2.1 and AE CS5. Is there either a way to do this with Particular (which is the preferred way) or - if not - is there another particle system plugin which is capable of collision events?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Particle Collision Avoidance
by on Apr 11, 2011 at 2:46:58 pm

Foam does repulsion but whether it'll form part of your solution depends greatly on what your particles are and what you intend to do with them.

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Klemens HerthaRe: Particle Collision Avoidance
by on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:45:17 pm

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately foam doesn't help me as the bubbles still do overlap, even with the highest repulsion setting.

My particles are logos which together form a big logo and the main goal is simply that the small logos do not overlap each other!

Thanks anyway!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Particle Collision Avoidance
by on Apr 12, 2011 at 1:41:33 pm

You could try using Card Dance and using a circular gradient (in a precomp) to drive the position of the cards.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Klemens HerthaRe: Particle Collision Avoidance
by on Apr 20, 2011 at 11:25:50 am

Thank you too for your reply, unfortunately it didn't work either with our project. We finally did it manually - with up to 500 illustrator layers per composition! O_o

But it's a pity that particular does not provide this feature! You need this quite often that particles should not overlap! And for every particle system in 3D-apps that I know this is a pretty standard feature...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved