ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5 RAM Usage during Rendering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Manny Vinea
AE CS5 RAM Usage during Rendering
on Apr 10, 2011 at 7:57:20 pm

Hello,
I am having problems rendering in AE. I have tried on 5 different compositions, with differing effects, resolution and number of layers. In all cases, AE will use only 6-7% of available RAM (from render queue window). I've tried playing around with all settings, as follows:

My hardware specs
i7-2600K (no overclocking)
16GB (4x4) 1066 RAM
80GB SSD for application disk
750GB SATA for media disk
GTX 470 graphics card
Windows 7 Pro
Latest drivers

My AE Settings
8 bit color depth or 16 bit color depth no difference
Various comp sizes, HD as well as SD
Various amount of layers and effects (Trapcode, MB Looks, etc.)
Multiprocessor rendering on and off, no difference
Allocation of memory: 3GB to other, 3GB per core and 2GB per core, no difference

Any other hints would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Manny Vinea
Re: AE CS5 RAM Usage during Rendering
on Apr 10, 2011 at 8:30:22 pm

Forgot to mention, I have tried outputting as uncompressed AVI (Lossless), as well as various QT codecs, all same result - render shows only 6-7% of the 16GB of RAM being used.

Windows Task Manager shows 12GB available during rendering.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 10, 2011 at 9:24:48 pm

I don't understand what the problem is... you're not using up all your RAM, perhaps?

Well, relax. Depending on the complexity of the comp & the size of the layers, you may NOT use a lot of memory. Some effects are processor-intensive as opposed to memory-intensive.

As long as your renders are getting done in a reasonable of time, you're fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Manny Vinea
on Apr 10, 2011 at 11:50:39 pm

Hi Mr. LaRonde,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the time you took. I thought that it was comp specific too, until I tried several different ones with the same result. multiple layers of HD footage, vs. animations created from scratch, vs. logo/camera animations, all the same thing, no difference.

So, I was thinking to do a test of a readily available composite that everyone can access - the latest tutorial on videocopilot (a crumbling title), located here: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/procedural_crumble/

The Final Comp composite renders Lossless AVI, still utilizing only 6% of total RAM. (So, roughly 860MB of 16GB) I wonder what other people's RAM utilizations are getting with this, and if there is a way to get this higher, to improve render times.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:06:40 pm

If you're REALLY worried about it, check your multiprocessing settings against these:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/10/please-try-recommended-memory-se...

...and as always, don't render using Open GL acceleration. Previewing? No problem. Rendering? Big problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]