ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cut out an astronaught in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew David ClarkCut out an astronaught in AE
by on Apr 9, 2011 at 7:29:10 pm

Hi.

I have some footage in FCP, (1280x720) of an astronaut shot against black fabric.
I need to cut her out and composite her onto a starry background (of outer space).
So I exported uncompressed TIFF files and then intend to import them in to an AE project.

What composition setting in AE should I use? The 720p one is HDV and I thought that might be too compressed since my final out put from FCP will be Pro Res 422.
I thought I would export the final comp in to FCP as uncompressed TIFFs, so will that ignore the HDV colour space/compression of the composition setting?

Also, when I bring by still images in they do not run consecutively, instead are placed one under the other. How do I get them to run sequentially?

Cheers,
Andrew

ADC

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Cut out an astronaught in AE
by on Apr 10, 2011 at 7:01:14 am

The settings you choose for your composition in the beginning of a project determine the size of the frame, the pixel aspect ratio, the frame rate, but not the final compression of the render. That is determined by the settings you choose from the render module.
It would help you to do a bit of reading on some basics for AE.
Importing file sequences.

Render settings.

As far as compositing stars behind the astronaut, I would just use a garbage mask with a slight feather to eliminate the stars over the character and comp the star layer on top using Add or Screen, or even Unmult.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Cut out an astronaut in AE
by on Apr 10, 2011 at 9:31:48 pm

A word to the wise: if you're going to continue to do effects work, you really ought to capture your HDV footage as ProRes 422 in FCP.

[Andrew David Clark] "....when I bring by still images in they do not run consecutively, instead are placed one under the other. How do I get them to run sequentially?"

Import it as an image SEQUENCE. Here's the info on it:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew David ClarkRe: Cut out an astronaut in AE
by on May 3, 2011 at 12:05:57 pm

Thanks for the info guys, it's much appreciated.
:-)

ADC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]