ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Writing on fogged/dirty mirror/glass

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew MatushewskyWriting on fogged/dirty mirror/glass
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:39:49 pm

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to do a title for a rainy scene and my idea if to have text show up as if being written as one would a fogged mirror or dirty glass on a car. I am a bit behind in the software(AE CS2) but was wondering if anyone had a suggestion? Here is the setup:

Fade in to a rainy scene and the screen gets foggy(still working on this but thinking just using a feathered edge of a mask and then have the text written in through the foggy "window".

Any thoughts on either the set up and/or the text writing is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Writing on fogged/dirty mirror/glass
by on Apr 11, 2011 at 7:43:27 am

This is not an easy quick setup- it will take some playing with, but here's some ideas:
Create the shape of your final text in AI. Work on the edges- in real life, edges of finger drawings on foggy windows are irregular and change shape- so you need to play in AE with your AI shape and get a way to affect the edges. Matte Chocker could be used for a subtle change in the edges.
Animate a mask to reveal the text. This will be your animated matte layer.
Duplicate the background and blur the top layer. You can reveal the un blurred background using the animated matte layer for your text.
These are the basic blocks, you should shoot a foggy window while you write something on for reference and tweak based on that.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved