ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Getting rid of white background - video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lori Savitch
Getting rid of white background - video
on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:34:41 pm

Hi Everyone ...

I saw the post "getting rid of white background" a few months ago, but that was for photos. I need to know about getting rid of a white background in video. And before I ask our art team to try the techniques mentioned in the existing post, I thought I'd ask my question separately.

I'm shooting a child on a hoppity-ball, bouncing across the screen in a white studio. In this case, the child has quite dark skin, and she isn't wearing any white. She's facing sideways, so even the whites of her eyes are not visible.

Question: is there any way to key-out the white (studio background) of this moving object?? In other words, in this particular case, can the white studio act as a blue/green screen?

The art folks work in Cs4 - but they have access to Cs5 over in the video department.

As always, I thank you so much!

-Lori

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Getting rid of white background - video
on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:46:25 pm

Lumakey or the Multiply Blending Mode (doesn't create an alpha but does remove the whites - good idea to use Levels to push the White areas to full-on white) and Autotrace are good options.

Of course there is Rotobrush.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:09:23 pm

Hiya, Lori....

I have a few "ifs" to bring up: IF you haven't shot this yet, and IF you're shooting on DVCPro HD, shooting on a well-lit chroma key set would be a little easier... IF you have access to a well-lit chroma key set.

Otherwise, Roland's methods are better.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lori Savitch
on Apr 8, 2011 at 7:57:25 pm

Hi Dave! Nice chatting with you again!

I'm shooting tomorrow. Shooting on P2-HD (1020i). Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 8, 2011 at 8:08:07 pm

[Lori Savitch] " Shooting on P2-HD (1020i). Any suggestions?"

Not really, just know that it's a right royal pain in the the body part of your choice to key off white. You'll probably discover there's more white on the subject than you bargained for -- highlights on shiny stuff count as white, too.

If you do Like Roland says, you'll get pretty darned close. If it's not close enough, it'll be time to jump through a lot of hoops in AE to get this done.

There's a reason why people chroma key: with proper lighting and a proper camera -- it's a Panasonic, right? -- it can save a lot of grief.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lori Savitch
on Apr 8, 2011 at 8:18:11 pm

Thank you Dave and Roland. I didn't set up the shoot intending to chroma key. I just got one of those famous "day-before-the-shoot-brilliant-ideas!"

I'm going to ask the art folks to try your suggestion, Roland. If it just becomes a pain in the "body part of my choice" - I'll bag it for Plan B.

Thanks guys!

-Lori

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Apr 8, 2011 at 8:37:19 pm

Good Luck and Have FUN!

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]