ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Small animation for movie theatre

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos AngeliSmall animation for movie theatre
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 11:29:19 am

Hi, not sure if this is the correct forum for posting this question, so I apologize for any inconvenience.

I´been asked to create a small animation for a movie theatre. I would like to know the best approach to make the transition from the computer to the movie theater. This is going to be a 100% computer generated piece, no cameras involved.

However, I don´t lknow if there´s a specific format I can export to play directly in the big screen, or if there´s a process involved to do so. My guess is there´s a special process, but I don´t know about it. Any advise on the subject would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Small animation for movie theatre
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 11:37:46 am

You need to ask your client to provide the technical specs for the final delivery. Will a digital projector be used, thus requiring a digital format, and if so what size, frame rate and compression format ( I have rendered JPEG2000 2k for digital projection). Or will there be a transfer to film... You should not start the project before you have all the details.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Carlos AngeliRe: Small animation for movie theatre
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 5:57:09 pm

Thanks Ted, I´ve tried to gather more information from the person who contacted me, but he couldn´t help much so far...

He did told me that they receive the movies in usb sticks and just plug them in the projector, and forwarded me an email he received with a VOLINDEX file an a XML file as an example. I´ve never worked with this kind of file before, so I´m guessing it has been "translated" somehow to something the projector can understand.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Small animation for movie theatre
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 8:06:09 pm

[Carlos Angeli] "He did told me that they receive the movies in usb sticks and just plug them in the projector, and forwarded me an email he received with a VOLINDEX file an a XML file as an example. I´ve never worked with this kind of file before, so I´m guessing it has been "translated" somehow to something the projector can understand."

This is a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) [link]. There is no simple, cheap way to deliver DCP.

I'd suggest finding a nearby post house that can prepare the DCP for you, or asking the theater if there are any other formats they accept.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Carlos AngeliRe: Small animation for movie theatre
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 10:47:47 pm

Thanks Walter for your explanation and advice. I´ll try to find out if the projector accepts some other format.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]