ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating a Facebook 'News Feed'?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zevie Tannenbaum
Animating a Facebook 'News Feed'?
on Apr 7, 2011 at 9:56:50 pm

Hi,

I have a project that I'm working on, which requires me to animate the Facebook 'News Feed'. What I have done is taken a lot of screenshots of someone's status updates and other activity on the 'News Feed'. I then took each separate activity (a screenshot) and placed it one above another one in Photoshop. My intention was to animate the 'News Feed, where the 'activity' on the 'News Feed' gets pushed down, one by one...

What would be the best way to animate this? I would be animated one by one for the most part. I was thinking of just pulling the layer using the 'P' tool and moving the layer down the screen, and have a slight fade in...

Does anyone know of any effect that can help me 'Push' the Facebook 'activity' into the 'News Feed'

* I have another problem, my PS document is really heigh and I still run out of space. I moved the screenshots down and off the PS screen, to make room for more screenshots. When I import into AE, I can't seem to get the screenshots that were moved off the PS screen...

How can I fix that?

Thanks,
Zevie

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Animating a Facebook 'News Feed'?
on Apr 8, 2011 at 7:13:15 pm

[Zevie Tannenbaum] "What would be the best way to animate this? I would be animated one by one for the most part. I was thinking of just pulling the layer using the 'P' tool and moving the layer down the screen, and have a slight fade in... "

This is the right approach.

[Zevie Tannenbaum] "I have another problem, my PS document is really heigh and I still run out of space. I moved the screenshots down and off the PS screen, to make room for more screenshots. When I import into AE, I can't seem to get the screenshots that were moved off the PS screen..."

Instead of creating one massive document with all the elements in it, you can import all of the elements separately into After Effects. You can use the parenting feature [link] to tie all the different elements to the same transform controls to make animating them together very easy.

These questions are really about AE fundamentals. I might have shared this link with you before, but in case I haven't, check out the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

I'd especially recommend Andrew Kramer's free Basic Training [link] tutorial series.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Zevie Tannenbaum
Re: Animating a Facebook 'News Feed'?
on Apr 10, 2011 at 6:41:41 am

Okay, thanks that helped! I have another question. I seem to have a problem with rendering in After Effects. The project is pretty big and the render times says over an hour and my mac becomes unresponsive. Even when I cancel the render my mac goes really slow after... If I restart my mac and then render, the render time drops to 5-10 minutes and my computer acts almost normal, just a little sluggish... Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zevie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]