ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating Behavioral Lines with Expressions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddy RoseCreating Behavioral Lines with Expressions
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 5:35:05 pm

Essentially I need to recreate this.

My first guess was to use particular But I can't figure out how to make a directionally traveling particle that randomly/briefly turns a 90 degree angle before returning to it's original forward path.

So I'm thinking that maybe there is some way to do this with an expression or plugin,, but I'm really stumped. Any advice much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Creating Behavioral Lines with Expressions
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 6:31:49 pm

This reminds me of LOGO!

I can't think of an automated way to do this with a particle system -- neither AE or Particular are really built for procedural graphics like this. A language like Processing [link] is.

In AE, your best bet might be just to draw and stroke a series of lines by hand (or do them in Illustrator and wipe them on and off). You should be able to get away with some re-use, and sometimes it's faster just to do the grunt work than it is to try to build an automated system.

If you really want to try it procedurally in AE, you might be able to do something by using the Tone effect [link] to drive the Audio Waveform effect [link]. Another possibility would be distorting a line with some serious use of the Displacement Map effect [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved