ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Advice keying h264 footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt BenepeAdvice keying h264 footage
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 1:46:04 pm

I'm sure this has been answered at some point, but I didn't see it when I searched.

I'm debating if I should take a freelance job or not because of time constraints. I'd have about 10 minutes of H.264 footage (broken into aprox 1:30 clips) that would need to be keyed.

I totally understand that H.264 sucks to key because of the it being 4:2:0 footage, but I wouldn't have a choice since the shoot has happened (and ironicly is for an artist that is well known, and had a budget). The green screen was well lit, but the subjects hair is going to be a issue.

I took a very quick pass at the footage with Keylight, and lost a lot of detail because of the muddiness of the pixels in between the curls of her hair that show through to the green screen.

I was wondering if something would be better than using keylight, or what process I should use to get the best results.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Advice keying h264 footage
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 1:56:15 pm

For best result convert the footage to a lossless format. TGA sequence or QT Animation or the like. Keying will work better this way. Still, you may have some hair issues- worth giving it a try though.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Advice keying h264 footage
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 2:05:30 pm

Also, if you have the budget for it, use Cineform's neoscence to transcode the footage from h.264 .mov- 4:2:0 to 10bit avi 4:2:2 for better keying.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Ashish VargheseRe: Advice keying h264 footage
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 3:04:24 pm

Or if you have budget, rent a Autodesk Smoke. Will solve all the issues. By the way I can do it for $75/hr or a package deal for you. Even if it means to rotoscope it. How many min you said it was?

Ashish
561 310 8177
ashimat@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Matt BenepeRe: Advice keying h264 footage
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 4:09:08 pm

I\'ll try a conversion first and see if that helps at all.

I seen some things that primatte keyer works better with this type of issue but I haven\'t used it. I may look into the color space converter but I\'m not sure if it\'s worth it. Basically I\'m deciding if I want to take the job and how much headache it will be. It won\'t be a high paying job regardless so sinking money into programs might not be the best answer.

That information is helpful though! Anyone else have advice as well?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Advice keying h264 footage
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 5:34:22 pm

A conversion will preserve the image quality you have, but sadly, it won't improve upon it. The damage inter terms of color sampling was done during the recording process, when 3/4 of the color information was thrown away.

If the chroma key background and the subject are well-lit, you stand a fighting chance. If not, pulling a good-looking key is going to be a tough uphill climb, especially on blonde hair.

I suspect the client had heard about the "marvelous" images a DSLR makes, and gave it a try. After all, what could go wrong? A DSLR takes stunning HD pictures!

The client should have consulted with an effects person first.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt BenepeRe: Advice keying h264 footage
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 11:31:58 pm

That's what I was afraid of. Didn't really see how re encoding would bring back the lost color information.

Dave you know what you're talking about so I'm going to say there's no way I'm doing it for the money which won't even be close to the effort needed to fix this

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Advice keying h264 footage
by on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:40:11 pm

If the client expects perfection in keying flyaway blonde hair against a green background, I agree. Can't be done.

Cripes, it can hardly be done in Photoshop on a high-resolution RAW still image without a third-party plugin.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Josh WeissRe: Advice keying h264 footage
by on Apr 7, 2011 at 9:38:15 pm

I agree it may not be worth your time. However, the upconverting does surprisingly help your keys. I didn't believe it either, but someone gave me the same tip and it will HELP. Your key may still suck, but the edges will probably be better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]