ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Halftone pattern

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil AndersonHalftone pattern
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 6:32:11 am

Are there any halftone dots pattern plugins that are 64-bit compatible? I've found a few recommendations for free ones (retrodots, omino, pete warden) but none of them seem to work in CS5.

I've experimented with combinations of Card Dance/Checkerboard/Ball Action and gotten okay results, but this requires a lot of fuss and layers. A simple effect would make what I'm trying to do a whole lot easier.

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: Halftone pattern
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 10:18:44 am

I had a project a few months ago that required a "newspaper" look, zooming out to reveal a full-sized image, but starting close in on a field of dots. I created the half-tone effect in Photoshop for that project, and I had to use really huge images to get the crispness I needed when zoomed in.

I remember looking for plugins at the time, but I didn't have any luck. Perhaps you could process the footage in PS using actions?

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Galen YoungRe: Halftone pattern
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 11:44:25 am

Which is why I've kept CS4 installed -- to keep access to those great AE plugs that never may be updated to 64-bit. I just used Pete Warden's HalfTone on a shot, it worked the absolute best out of that handful you mention.

For CS5 you might try Satya Meka's Dot Pixels pixel bender filter over at Used that too recently, very nice, you might be able to finesse it into looking like a halftone pattern.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Halftone pattern
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 12:50:20 pm

Chris Zwar has a terrific free project file that does halftone dots.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved