ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Compositing Tips?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James MurphyCompositing Tips?
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 12:33:48 am

I'm trying to composite about five shots, each of a tilt showing the interior of a refrigerator with cans on each shelf. I'm attempting to make a composite to make it appear as though the fridge is full of cans even though the cans are only on one shelf in each shot.

The problem I'm having is the timing of everything. All the shots involve tilts at varying speeds. I'm trying to line them up using time remapping, but I keep getting stuttering snags causing the final tilt to look off.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can make this shot work?

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: Compositing Tips?
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 2:15:11 am

Fill all the shelves in the fridge with cans and re-shoot?

What are you trying to achieve in the shot? i.e., why do you have 5 shots? If I'm understanding correctly, it seems that what you're trying to do would require some sort of motion control setup. Trying to match 5 or so different camera moves to look like 1 camera move... I don't know, that's a tricky one.

Might be an idea to film with a locked shot straight on and see if you can fake the tilt in AE, or something like that.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

James MurphyRe: Compositing Tips?
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 2:36:15 am

I would've filled it up to begin with but I didn't have enough. I filled up each shelf and filmed each individually. I'm kind of on a time crunch.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Compositing Tips?
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 6:05:14 am

Without motion control in production I do not think you will be able to match all 5 shots. It would be better to select stills that overlap from each shot and create a plate over which you can do a cam move in AE. There's a couple of techniques you can use to make it look 3d and not flat.
Displacement in 3d using FreeForm.
Tutorial: http://library.creativecow.net/jelescu_tudor/3D-from-2D-image_AE/1

Camera mapping.
Tutorial: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/submerged/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Compositing Tips?
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 4:32:39 pm

[James Murphy] "I would've filled it up to begin with but I didn't have enough. I filled up each shelf and filmed each individually. I'm kind of on a time crunch."

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. Unfortunately, you've kind of painted yourself into a corner:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

amanda wangRe: Compositing Tips?
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 6:02:43 pm

Hi, just to ask. does anyone knows how am i able to composite two static videos but with different foregrd but same bg video together as one?

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: Compositing Tips?
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 6:06:32 pm

You should probably start a new thread for that, but...

Rotoscoping would be my guess. There are lots of tutorials/info around on roto.

It also depends largely on what you mean by "foreground". More description would help.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]