ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Is it possible to lock a layer in time?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin BowserIs it possible to lock a layer in time?
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 8:18:16 pm

I was wondering if there is some way, whether through scripting or whatever, to lock a layers' time in the timeline, while leaving everything else about the layer editable.

Very frequently I find myself clicking on a layer in order to select it, and accidentally moving it a frame or 2, and it would be so much nicer if there was some way that I could lock that property, and know that no matter what I wasn't messing with my edit.

Obviously I know that I can click the layer name on the left in order to select the layer without moving it, but I'm color correcting a huge edit in AE, so I have hundreds of layer, so the quickest way to select the shot I want is to literally click the layer in the timeline panel.

Any help/ideas you guys have is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Is it possible to lock a layer in time?
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 9:07:18 pm

in the 31 places where the word "lock" is mentioned in AE's Online Help, there is no mention of locking a layer in time. Sorry.

I guess you'll just have to be careful.

If I wanted to play it safe, I'd highlight the layer hit the i key to go to the layer's in-point then use the shift-alphanumeric keypad to assign a 0 - 9 marker in the timeline. If there's any doubt if you moved a layer in time, just hit the appropriate number key and the timeline cursor goes right to it. It's easy to realign the clip from there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Spencer TweedRe: Is it possible to lock a layer in time?
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 10:56:03 pm

As Dave said, I don't think there is a way to do this. Instead why don't you look into alternate ways of selecting layers? For example every layer has a number and if you hit this number on your keypad you can select that layer (of course you have more than 10 layers though...)

- Spencer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved