ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE - Stabilise, tracking and sky replacement.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris JoyceAE - Stabilise, tracking and sky replacement.
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:03:21 am

Hello,

First off I should be ok with this just wondered if there is a way to get an even better end result.

Right they are shooting this scene today where they are filming outside a car window at an open landscape. Tomorrow my job is to stabilise the shot, replace the sky and grade. I have been doing some examples today in preparation but they just don't look that great. I was wondering if anybody had any tips.

My process is as follows:

- Stabilise the shot using the AE tracker, then re-rendering. ( doesn't do it perfect but it is a bumpy road!)
- Re-import the footage then track using AE tracker. Matt out the sky and replace with the new one + parent to track null.
- Grade shot.

The problem I seem to be getting is the sky just doesn't seem like it moves with the floor. Could this be due to the fact that that my position and rotation track points are at the very right side of my comp? (only place for them on a building right in the background) Also is AE tracker not that good? This is my first time trying something like this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Return to posts index

Aivaras SeduikaRe: AE - Stabilise, tracking and sky replacement.
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:38:24 pm

The AE tracker is pretty poor for shots with large motion.
Do you have CS5?
If you do, have a go with Mocha (comes with AE CS5 iirc) - it's a planar tracker so instead of tracking a point, it tracks an area inside a mask. It can track perspective changes as well as translation and rotation and scale - it renders the AE tracker pretty useless for post work.

This guy Mattias has an amazing set of tutorials for tracking and stabilising, including one where you can (to an extent) motion stabilise footage without having to crop, by recovering areas outside the frame from other frames in the video.
(go to tutorials, it's on page2)
http://www.mamoworld.com/

He is using a tool he developed called MochaImport which you can donate and download from aescripts.com

It's a much more time-intensive process but it's incredibly accurate.

Return to posts index

Chris JoyceRe: AE - Stabilise, tracking and sky replacement.
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:14:13 pm

Hi,

Yeah I do have cs5 so I assume I have mocha. I have it on this mac but need to double check it's on my laptop which I need to edit on shoot tomorrow. On first glance i'm confused, but already it seems so much more powerful than the AE tracker. Looks like I have two hours of tutorial watching before tomorrow!

Thanks for all your help,

Chris

Return to posts index

Aivaras SeduikaRe: AE - Stabilise, tracking and sky replacement.
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:37:33 pm

Yep, mocha is really amazing, it's pretty simple once you get familiar with the UI :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]