ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Weird frame rate issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan Hargreaves
Weird frame rate issue
on Apr 5, 2011 at 10:37:54 am

Hi,

Got a project with a bit of an odd workflow which has thrown up a bizarre problem. My side of the project was to film a presenter speaking to camera and subtitle it, which was then sent to a designer from a different company for comping with some animations. (New client, should have used us for both aspects of the job, but there you go...)

So. The designer needed to have the subtitles as a separate layer, ie, not burned on to the presenter clip. So I exported the presenter as 25fps pro res, and exported the subtitles as a 25fps animation, (With alpha).

The subtitle clip name is suffixed with the exact frame number where the subtitle should begin. So all the designer has to do is line the subtitle up to the corresponding frame on the presenter clip and voila, the subtitles should - and in FCP do - sync up.

However, they go completely out of sync in After Effects. If you go to the interpret footage panel, it says the frame rate is 1.042. What is this? And why is it not just 25fps? If I interpret the clip as 25fps in AE, it speeds it up 25x.

So what's going on here???

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Weird frame rate issue
on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:40:00 pm

Without any useful information, I can only speculate. It would appear to me that you may be running something other than AE 10 (aka CS5), that you used a long-gop video layer for reference for your subtitles, then turned off the reference layer to render the alpha-channeled movie.

If any of that is true, and I don't know if it is, I would duplicate the comp in question, DELETE the reference layer (that's important) and render out a short section as a test. Import the test footage into AE, check the frame rate, and if it's okay, you should be good to proceed.

And I really hope you rendered using the AE Render Queue, and that you simply called it an export by mistake.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:05:24 pm

Hi Dave,

Think I left out a vital piece of the information - I had originally intended this for the FCP forum before thinking it was more of an AE issue.

The presenter clip and the subtitle were done, and exported from FCP - the subs using QT conversion.

It's importing them into AE where the 25fps becomes 1.042 for some reason...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:10:10 pm

[Dylan Hargreaves] "The presenter clip and the subtitle were done, and exported from FCP - the subs using QT conversion."

....and the codec of this clip is......?

.....and you run which version of AE....?

....and precisely how did you create these subtitles....?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:14:27 pm

Sorry.

The codec of the presenter clip is ProRes

I'm running AE CS5

The subs were created using the outline text generator inside FCP, then duped into their own timeline and exported as animation, millions of colors+

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:27:18 pm

These things come to mind:
  • If you haven't updated AE 10 yet, you should do so (Help>Update). This would be the first thing to do.
  • The frame rate error may have happened on the export from FCP; you should check.
  • If the clip's frame rate is okay when opened in QT Pro, export another one.
  • If there aren't too many subtitles, you can do a Save Frame As command, and create stills. Syncing back up in FCP or another application then becomes a pain.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Apr 7, 2011 at 8:25:04 pm

The problem appears to be something to do with FCP and how it handles alpha. I've had some weirdness before with that.

The subs were leaving me as animations, mills col+ at 25fps, but going into the designer's AE at this strange 1.042 frame rate.

I tried exporting as h264, with no alpha and told the designer to set the comp mode to screen. Voila, the subs import at the right frame rate.

It may also have had something to do with me being on mac and him being on pc, but either the issue has been worked around, if not exactly resolved.

And a pain in the ass for me who had to re-export 50 odd subtitle clips at h264...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]