ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

H.264 Render Problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
george robbinsH.264 Render Problems
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:54:07 am

Every time I render out H264 it comes out as if the frames are slightly out of order, and is at "30.1" FPS, rather then the 30 I am rendering at. Worse, the problem seems to be sporadic, as some comps render fine and others (and of course the final comp) have this problem no matter how I reset render settings. Regular. QT renders are fine. It's driving me crazy!
Thanks.
~George

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: H.264 Render Problems
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:13:31 am

Hi George,

I think your first post on this question was moved to -- and answered in -- this thread on the Adobe After Effects Basics forum:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/202/890672

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

george robbinsRe: H.264 Render Problems
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:40:14 am

Hi thanks.
I know how to work around trouble, I just want to know what happened... why does it appear and disappear?
~G

Return to posts index

by on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:48:56 am

[george robbins] "why does it appear and disappear?"

Why does what appear and disappear?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:55:42 am

The messed up .mp4 renders. Sometimes they are fine, sometimes with this strange frame rate/frame ordering problem. Animation codec renders are fine, and exporting from QT9 to mp4 works, but is insanely time consuming.
~G

Return to posts index

by on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:20:03 am

As Dave pointed out, rendering directly to H.264 from AE is not a good workflow. I know it takes more effort to render to an intermediate format and then compress for delivery -- but I think the quality improvement from multipass encoding will be worth it.

If you really want to avoid the intermediate step, you could try using Adobe Media Encoder instead of After Effects to render and encode. You can add your AE comp to the encode queue in AME [link].

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:09:28 pm

Thanks Walter
I appreciate your time. What annoys me about this is that I had renders that took me almost no time and the client was very happy with, now it takes me 3 times as long to turn revisions around and I am still futzing with encoding settings that they are happy with. I tried Dave's suggestion and cleaned up the footage but still same problem. I have found that the .mp4 renders will play 1 frame then skip forward 4 frames, and then play the preceding skipped 3 frames and then the process starts over again. QT says they are some strange FPS, 30.09 or some such nonsense, and always slightly different. Can a render setting become corrupt?
Thanks,
~G

Return to posts index

by on Apr 5, 2011 at 7:22:56 pm

I don't really know what else to suggest to you, George. I specifically recommend against the direct-to-H.264 workflow because I don't have any confidence that I'll get the consistent, high-quality results that I can get with an intermediate workflow.

We do a lot of H.264 compression, so I bought a Matrox CompressHD card to speed up encodes. It's a PCIe compression accelerator. It does high-bitrate 1080p in about realtime, and many other settings are faster than realtime. I've been really, really pleased with both the quality and the speed. It might be worth a look.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: H.264 Render Problems
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 8:21:54 pm

George, try to go to the multiplexing tab (h264 settings), and change it from none to ipod.

Tell me if it helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]