ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

random color shift in precomp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Benjaminrandom color shift in precomp?
by on Apr 4, 2011 at 6:14:57 pm

I've got a precomp with some jpgs from a client in them. They're 3d layers, and the precomp is set to infinite raster in my Main comp that I'll render from

I was having a weird issue where the blacks in my renders would be significantly different. Actually there was a large color shift. Everything was fine in AE and Color Finesse, but the renders - no matter the codec - all were slightly magenta.

I did some render tests from directly inside the precomp and everything was fine. It was something to do with the infinite rasterization that was causing the renders to be different

Any thoughts??

RGB image files (PSD files). Normal blend modes on all layers, minimal color effects on any layers, no adjustment layers, no lights... Everything was fine in AE until render time.

Any one else experienced anything like this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: random color shift in precomp?
by on Apr 4, 2011 at 6:20:36 pm

[Joel Benjamin] "Any one else experienced anything like this?"

Lots of people do if they use Open GL to accelerate rendering. It's fine for previewing, but not even the folks at Adobe use Open GL when rendering.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joel BenjaminRe: random color shift in precomp?
by on Apr 4, 2011 at 6:56:59 pm

Nope, nothing to do with Open GL. I rarely ever even use it

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: random color shift in precomp?
by on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:04:48 pm

If you happen NOT to have AE 10 (aka CS5), but you didn't mention there's also video footage in your comps, the following could be a possibility, too:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: random color shift in precomp?
by on Apr 4, 2011 at 8:44:13 pm

[Joel Benjamin] "I've got a precomp with some jpgs from a client in them. They're 3d layers, and the precomp is set to infinite raster in my Main comp that I'll render from. I was having a weird issue where the blacks in my renders would be significantly different. Actually there was a large color shift... I did some render tests from directly inside the precomp and everything was fine. It was something to do with the infinite rasterization that was causing the renders to be different"

Could this be the result of lighting and material settings? Lights within that precomp will be ignored. Lights within the main comp will be applied.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Apr 4, 2011 at 9:04:50 pm

CS5, yes

No footage - just PSD layers (RGB)

And no lights at all

I'm attaching a jpg (I think)

on the Right is how it looks in AE. On the left is how it's rendering (again - ANY codec, more or less looks like this)

If I rendered directly from the precomp, it looks like it does on the right. It's when the precomp has inf. raster turned on that it looks WRONG

Return to posts index

by on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:40:42 pm

[Joel Benjamin] "If I rendered directly from the precomp, it looks like it does on the right. It's when the precomp has inf. raster turned on that it looks WRONG"

Very strange! Do you see the shift in RAM preview as well as render? Are you using color management? Do the colors render correctly without Collapse Transformations on? Are there any effects applied to the precomp itself in the main comp? Perhaps a shy adjustment layer?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:48:43 pm

TOTALLY strange
-No shift when RAM preview...

-Color management is None (though I did play around with it a bit with no positive effect)

-Colors render correctly when collapse transformations is OFF, but NOT if they are on.

-no effects applied to the precomp. No adjustment layers

I haven't experimented with any other image files, so I suppose there's something about that particular Photoshop file (though I don't know what - no effects on those layers in PS, either). Or maybe it's just a fluke.

I guess I'd be less nervous if other people were having this issue as well

Return to posts index

by on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:13:46 am

What bit depth are you working at? Have you tried rendering to a PSD sequence?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:22:02 am

- Tried 8 and 16 bit

- and yup, rendered out tif and tga sequences (didn't do PSD specifically)

Return to posts index

by on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:53:19 am

Sorry, Joel -- I'm not really sure what else to suggest (other than perhaps filing a bug report [link] if the problem is reproducible). Can you post a reduced project that shows the problem?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]