ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

animating by Rotoscoping VS. the software Rotoshop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aslan tamekanimating by Rotoscoping VS. the software Rotoshop
by on Apr 4, 2011 at 2:23:01 am

Hi folks,
Rotoshop is a software used by blackflats.com artists, to make animation like this : http://www.flatblackfilms.com/Flat_Black_Films/Films/Pages/A_Scanner_Darkly...

I researched a lot about the software, there is also a video, explaining how it works : http://www.g4tv.com/techtvvault/features/23423/Rotoshop_Animation.html

I watched the tutorials by Aharon Rabinowits on how to convert video into animation. I know that there is a plug-in called Toonit by Red Giant to do the precess, all in one, and used I it in my project. there are also many other ways, some of them discussed here on creative cow. my question is, how can i achieve an animated look such as those by blackflat movies? I know they use kinda software named Rotoshop, and there is a team of animators working together. but as i researched, Rotoshop is doing the rotoscoping and then the twining process,so, isn't that the same as the roto-brush tool wich is now available in AE CS5? is it now possible to make those "CLEAN" animated videos, even by tedious work? if the answer is yes, then i wonder if some one explains the process.
thank you in advance for the help,
Regards,
Aslan.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: animating by Rotoscoping VS. the software Rotoshop
by on Apr 4, 2011 at 5:54:01 pm

You could try with the Rotobrush. I would suggest picking a couple seconds of footage to test with and try different approaches. Keep in mind that they shot the footage with the rotoscoping in mind and they embellished a lot of it with hand-drawn animation for a lot of elements.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Aslan TamekRe: animating by Rotoscoping VS. the software Rotoshop
by on Apr 5, 2011 at 9:42:10 pm

thank you michael, i'm doing this on a 10 second commercial video. i did the rotoscoping to the possible extend in AE, then i exported the 10 secs as PNG image sequences. 24 frames per second, so here i have aboute 240 images. i'm vectorizing them in illustrator, the result is impressive ! i like it. the question is, do i have to keep the frame rate at 24fps ? or should i reduce it? as i know 15 fps would be enough for animation. so if any frame rate reduction is necessary, should i do it after vectorizing and painting the images in AE, or should i do it before exporting the video into image sequences, so there would be fewer PNG files to paint in illustrator. am i clear?! please let me know if any further explanation is needed.
thanks again,
Aslan.

Architect & Animator

Return to posts index

Aslan TamekRe: animating by Rotoscoping VS. the software Rotoshop
by on Apr 7, 2011 at 12:24:04 am

any comments on this?! i'd appreceiate any further help :)

Architect & Animator

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]