ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Stuttering Movement in Crawling Animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl MartinStuttering Movement in Crawling Animation
by on Apr 1, 2011 at 9:52:28 pm

I'm new to the forum, but I have used it for years and searched it extensively for this issue.
I put together a video but the motion seems to stutter and flicker a bit and it's quite distracting. I've tried increasing the shutter angle in the motion blur settings to give me a bit of leeway, but I'm not even sure if the problem is coming out of AE or if it is in the compression to H.264. I think it might be a combination of both. I rendered it out of AE into ProRes 422 and then converted to H.264 using Apple's Compressor. Here is an example of the video:

I have seen people's posts about scrolling text and the importance of interger position values. Unfortunately, the final composition in this file had to be time remapped to meet speed and timing limitations, so the position values are probably thrown off by the speed adjustments.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Stuttering Movement in Crawling Animation
by on Apr 1, 2011 at 10:07:21 pm

[Carl Martin] "Does anyone have any ideas?"

Nope. Credit rolls are a right royal pain in the body part of your worst dreams. If you have to hit a certain time -- one that's shorter than currently have -- you can either make the type smaller, reduce the distance between lines of type, or both.

And if you happen to be working at 23.976 (aka 23.98, aka 24p) it only gets worse. That particular frame rate isn't very smooth. For evidence, go check out the credits of the Star Trek movie that came out last year... the one with the new Kirk, Spock, Uhura, Scotty, etc.

Boy, is that credit roll butt-ugly! And that's a Hollywood flick, too!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved