ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

something I'm trying to achieve with the comp edge

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Foreman
something I'm trying to achieve with the comp edge
on Mar 30, 2011 at 12:42:09 pm

I've tried doing a search for this but its a little hard to put into words for a text search...

I'm trying to animate objects so that when their pixels leave the composition edge they reappear on the opposite side. So for instance if I had an object moving left, as it leaves the composition the pixels enter from the right hand side of the same composition... Like when pac-man leaves through the left side of the screen and enters from the right.

Is there an easy way to achieve this on after effects?

Return to posts index

Chris Buttacoli
Re: something I'm trying to achieve with the comp edge
on Mar 31, 2011 at 12:21:19 am

Well, off the top of my head I can think of the OFFSET filter. Applied to an adjustment layer over the object being animated, you can set the center point to zero on the X axis and now the object will behave as you wish side to side. HOWEVER, the effect will break down at the middle of the comp where the true edges are now. So not sure if this is the right way to go about it. Hmmmm.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 31, 2011 at 12:11:46 pm

I do not have the means to test this now, but I wonder if applying Motion Tile to your moving layer will do it.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 31, 2011 at 2:00:44 pm

Try CC Repetile. 1st Precompose your layer. Apply the effect, then depending on which side you want the layer to wrap in from, set the Expand Right or Expand Left to be the width of your comp for one wrap around. Set those to higher multiples (double, triple, etc.) if you want it to repeat. Then animate the position of the precomp.

There are also several presets in the effect you can experiment with.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
This works
on Mar 31, 2011 at 2:30:41 pm

I tried the idea I suggested earlier and it works.
Set your shape/object that you want to animate in the middle of your comp. Precomp that layer. Apply Stylize/Motion Tile. You need to set the width and height of the tiles in order to determine how many tiles you get in each direction (x and y). Depending on how many times you need your object to come in the frame after it goes out and on the size of your comp those values will change.
Also, depending on the way you want the object to come back in the frame (as soon as part of it goes out at the top the same amount comes in at the bottom- default setting, precomp size the same as master comp- or the object does not come in at the bottom until all of it goes out at the top of the frame, in which case you need to chage the size of your precomp, making it bigger - add the width and height of your object in pixels to the size of the initial frame).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Mar 31, 2011 at 2:35:08 pm

Use the loopOut expression on the position property.

See this example: 1818_loopingpacman.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 31, 2011 at 2:46:16 pm

Sure, Brian, do it that way if you want a simple and elegant solution. I was trying to make it kludgy and time-consuming!

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Mar 31, 2011 at 3:11:27 pm

Sorry Joey. :(

Return to posts index

Steve Hardie
on Nov 22, 2015 at 12:27:19 am

If it had to be a "true" loop where the parts of the object that leave the right of frame enter the left, is there a way to script that?
i.e. as the point where the pakman id half way out on the right, halfo of him would already have appeared on the left?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]