ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering My First AE Comp For Local TV Broadcast

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Dalby
Rendering My First AE Comp For Local TV Broadcast
on Mar 30, 2011 at 5:46:40 am

Props & thank you for true subject matter expertise! Every time I Google a few specifics about render settings for HD TV broadcast, I end up here.

I am getting ready to deliver my first television spot to a local station for broadcast (KCRG in case anyone is familiar). I asked the station for preferred resolution, CODEC and any other technical parameters that would help prevent rework due to the tight deadline.

The response: "1280x720 & Quicktime". Admirable because it *was* a fast response but I was expecting CODEC details, lum/chroma advice, etc.

Willing to pay for an hour's worth of consultation via drinks at the Irish Democrat or a gift certificate to Nelson's Meat Market if anyone can shed light. :)

Douglas Dalby
Lost in the Corn Media Group

------------------------------

Have 7D + CS5 + Zeiss = Will Travel

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Rendering My First AE Comp For Local TV Broadcast
on Mar 30, 2011 at 6:00:01 am

Broadcast can mean different things for different stations. I usually deliver 1080i, Mpeg 2 at 50Mb/s, but since the station said 1280x720 QT, I would ask them what codec and bit rate instead of guessing it.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on Mar 30, 2011 at 10:58:16 am

Personally, I've found the photo jpg codec to work with my local stations. They are able to play that effortlessly on their systems whether that be Mac or PC. And it makes for less upload times (if delivering via FTP) than a lossless codec. But that's what works on this end for me...
Hope this helps

Tim

Tim

Return to posts index

Douglas Dalby
on Mar 30, 2011 at 6:22:01 pm

Tim, It does help. Thank you.

Doug

Return to posts index

Douglas Dalby
on Mar 30, 2011 at 6:24:59 pm

Very helpful Ted. Thank you very much. I think I am good-to-go.

Doug

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 30, 2011 at 3:12:02 pm

Check out my sig if you would, please; I'll take the Nelson's certificate. My wife and I have known Mark Martin for years. KCRG's address is 501 2nd Ave SE, Cedar Rapids 52401.

When I transfer spots into the server, they are Quicktime movies in the Motion JPEG A codec at best quality, 1280x720, 59.94 frames/sec. Audio is 48kHz, 16 bit stereo. The engineers take it from there.

The normal admonitions about video and chroma levels apply. Use a the built-in scope in your NLE at the very least.

I know that red is the most frequently-offensive color in broadcasting. When I work in AE and get a logo that includes pure red, pure white and pure black, I use the Levels effect on it: Output Black at 16, Output White at 234. Using the Hue/Saturation effect, I reduce Red Saturation to -12. I find that Color Finesse is a good way to keep tabs on things while in AE; set the scopes to NTSC, 70% bars. I only knock down offending colors; I'm very selective in the colors I reduce; I don't want to suck the color and the life out of a spot. I do. I'll frequently give the overall chroma just a little goose, but that's more of a color grading decision. I also find that slightly-too-hot video is handled adequately in FCP.

If you have further questions about delivery specs and delivery methodology, contact Chief Engineer Kirk Schroeder at 319-398-8433.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 30, 2011 at 3:49:41 pm

I'm past the time limit to edit a post, so here's more:

KCRG broadcasts an SD signal in addition to an HD signal, and SD here is always 4x3. We center-punch HD video; we DO NOT letterbox HD video for SD transmission. Not ever. We always center-punch.

So when designing the graphics for your spot, keep the essential stuff within 4x3 Title Safe. I'll often cheat and use a tiny bit of the area between Title Safe and Action Safe. I haven't gotten any complaints yet.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Douglas Dalby
on Mar 30, 2011 at 6:30:13 pm

Dave,

Thank you so much for both posts. You have given me the *exact* information I was hoping for. The spot isn't scheduled until Monday and we told Rachel (rep) that if the new commercial wasn't complete by Friday to use an old one on file and add a crawl message on the bottom. The spot is for a local catering company, not Nelson's (I just threw the certificate offer in because I knew it was close to the station and convenient). I will pick up the cert and drop it in the mail to your attn tomorrow.

Thank you again for all your help!

Doug

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 31, 2011 at 2:43:30 pm

[Douglas Dalby] "The spot is for a local catering company...."

Who, Dostal? Aaah, I'll just talk to Rachel.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 31, 2011 at 3:52:31 pm

Spectacularly epic.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 31, 2011 at 4:06:20 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "Spectacularly epic."

That's a head-scratcher of a comment, Michael!

But I think I take your meaning: yes, we are indeed on an international forum, and this particular thread got a just a tiny-wee bit localized, now didn't it?

But then, I doubt you get to Nelson's meat market to pick up some Miami Rolls for the grill. Along with a nice tomato-basil salad, ain't hardly nothin' bettter in the summer. I had lots o' motivation to go local.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Mar 31, 2011 at 7:39:35 pm

Best ever end to a COW thread! :-)

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 31, 2011 at 8:10:20 pm

I just meant it was awesome that the OP posted on an international forum and ended up getting a (very detailed) answer from someone at the exact station he was sending his video to. I thought it was great. And I can only imagine what must have gone through the OP's head when you responded.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]